hip replacement surgery with a pacemaker

My mother, who is eighty-one years old, is planning nn having hip joint replacement surgery, but she has a pacemaker to keep her blood pressure from going too low. How dangerous would it be for her to have this surgery and anesthesia? How does the pacemaker affect her during the surgery? Would it be able to control her blood pressure during the surgery? If not,could she go into shock because of this?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
An electrial pacemaker replaces the atrial node in signaling the heart to contract. There are many kinds of pacemakers.  This situation is not the first time a person with a pacemaker has had to undergo surgury. Trust the doctors and the anaesthesiologist to know what they are doing. There are risks in all surguries, however there is no reason to worry excessively. As long as they maintain blood volume and monitor oxygenation and arterial blood gases (which they are very good at) there is little liklihood of shock.
Helpful - 0
Can a rise in blood pressure occur after joint surgery in someone with a pacemaker? My husband had knee replacement surgery (cartilage) and a week later his blood pressure went up very high. So far no on has an answer. Thank you, Carmen
Helpful - 0
Hello Carmen,

Welcome to our Senior Health Community. I am glad you found us but sorry to hear about your husband's hypertension (high B/P).

Hypertension can occur for a multitude of reasons - and sometimes for no good reason. I'll bet you'll see a decrease once his system has recovered more from the insult and trauma of surgery.

Pain, inflammation, stress, the surgery itself  along with many other factors can be the culprit here.

Than again none of those may be the cause. He may have had a predisposition to hypertension and it's just decided to show up now. The surgery could have just sped up the inevitable. No matter how safe the surgery or how successful it is - it's still an insult to our body. The older we become the truer this often can be.

I don't think his pacemaker has any real play in this - but I am not a physician.  I have searched to see if I could find anything that says the pacemaker could be a factor and I am unable to find anything. In fact some articles say almost the opposite - hypotension.

In my opinion the two aren't related. Again I'm not an expert. I hope that time will resolve this issue. If not there are some fairly safe hypertensive agents available.

I hope you'll keep in touch and let us know the outcome. Please feel free to ask additional questions.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life