Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

recovery from sepsis , head pain ,fatigue

Hi not sure if I am posting inthe right place, but.... I recently had sepsis was taken to emergency and spent some time in ICU , had a close call, with very low bp, kidneys failing hallucinations etc etc. I pulled through and am home now. I have been resting for nearly 3 weeks and am not feeling myself. I have head pain, pain behind my left eye , general fatigue and have had a couple incidents of memory loss. ie; i could not remember my street address. I am still unable to go through a normal schedule for a day and have maybe a 2 hr window of energy in the mornig before needing to lay down again. what is going on, what can I do to recouperate faster. the doctor has recommended I see a neurologist. I am frightened, normally a very active, healthy 42 yr old woman. I have had ct scan, ekg, chest xray etc etc while inhospital and nothing was showing of concern. please share info, help, advice.
111 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
547368 tn?1440541785
Hello and Welcome,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Sepsis is often a nasty ordeal and my heart goes out to both of you. I notice you have a question mark after Sepsis and UTI - does that mean you're uncertain of the DX (diagnosis)?

Much like most other conditions and/or infections your general health can have a play in the outcome. I mean this in regards to how quickly and completely you recover - and/or how extreme or severe an infection or disease actually becomes.

In PPS (Post Sepsis Syndrome) that seems to play a part to some degree but not to a large degree. Healthy, young ppl can develop PPS and Seniors may not ever develop it. It's a crap shoot.

65 is no longer considered old - as it was 60-75 years ago. I would hope the odds are pretty equal in for his recovery. Sepsis - unlike most infections -  effects our body as a whole and can just take time.

I hope your husband has a complete recovery and will be healthy and chipper for your Anniversary Cruise. Please let us know how he is doing. If you have additional questions - or just want to chat or vent, we're here.

Warm Wishes,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
My 65yr husband was discharged after 5 days in hospital with septasaemia ? Caused by a UTI?  2wks ago He was admitted with a high temp, terrible confusion,disorientation scored 4 out of 20 on a mini mental test.  Now  still gets some words muddled ,remains very tired , poor appetite, going on a cruise in 6 myths for our 45 Anniversary. Just hope he's well by then. Reading above notes there seems no guidelines to expect decent recovery. Is this right ?
Helpful - 0
547368 tn?1440541785
Hi Sharon,

Welcome to the Senior Health Community at MedHelp.

I've been close to dying several times. I had hallucinations also. I think you're asking if they were real? Medical science will say no. Those hallucinations are caused by medications or lack of oxygen to your brain.

That said - I don't always believe what Medical Science says. Personally I think it depends on the situation and the person. I also think that only that person knows what they "saw" or felt.

My hallucinations occurred even when I was awake. I actually saw my mother's head fold back in quarter folds and a black and white setting hen (chicken) rose - like on a hydraulic pedestal - from the top of her head. I know that was a hallucination. So maybe it depends on what you are calling a hallucination.

We're you "visited" by loved ones lost in death - or by a higher power? I believe that those things can and do happen. That's a belief system I hold - but science sure doesn't.

Believe what brings you comfort my dear. Life is short - take all the good  and comfort you can find. Those are my thoughts. I think your heart knows.

Peace,
~Tuck

Helpful - 0
547368 tn?1440541785
Welcome. Sorry I'm tardy to your post. I didn't see it till just now.

First let me tell you how to begin a new thread. Simply go to the top of this thread and on the right hand side click on the green bar that says "Post A Question."

It took me several years - close to five - to begin feeling normal again after my numerous bouts of Sepsis in a very short period of time.  Mine too came from the kidney. However I had so many other issues and continued surgeries and interventions that I was never certain what made me feel so horrid and out of touch.

I'm sorry you are struggling so much. You're correct - most medical professionals do not know about  PPS, or Post Sepsis Syndrome. I encourage you to enlighten them. Go to the web-site and print off the information. Hand it to your physicians after you have read it thoroughly. Ask for their thoughts and a plan of action.

I hope you'll get an MD to listen to you. My heart breaks for you and all of us who have experienced PPS.

My Best,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
I think it took me nearly three months to recover at home from Sepsis. I had to use a walker at first and there were many things I couldn't do on my own. I'm Lucky I recovered so soon especially since I'm 65, have a chronic lung disease and MS. Besides from that, I still think about the realistic Hallucinations I had when I was uncontious. I'm beginning to think they weren't hallucinations. Please let me know if/what kind of thoughts you had if you were close to dying.
Helpful - 0
Since the medical community knows so little of how it feels to live after sepsis, it is such a relief to find people who do understand.In 2012 my sepsis began in the kidney and quickly turned into septic shock. I was put in the ICU where I stayed on heart pumpers for several days. In many ways the days since then have been harder than the days in the hospital. I survived, but like many of you I wonder when (or worse if) I will ever feel awake again and live without pain. I truly feel like it is always 2 am. It is hard as a 41 year old homeschool mom of three to simply get through each day. Most of the time I do not feel "justified" in my fatigue since it has been so long since I was sick. As a result I have sought out neurologists, endocrinologists, rheumatologist so and even had a sleep study in order to find out what to do to feel better.  All of this to no avail. So perhaps it is just a journey of living with this new normal of trying to get through each day with a VERY limited amount of energy? Is that what you all have found? Sorry....I did not know how to start a new thread.....
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Popular Resources
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life