recovery from sepsis , head pain ,fatigue

Hi not sure if I am posting inthe right place, but.... I recently had sepsis was taken to emergency and spent some time in ICU , had a close call, with very low bp, kidneys failing hallucinations etc etc. I pulled through and am home now. I have been resting for nearly 3 weeks and am not feeling myself. I have head pain, pain behind my left eye , general fatigue and have had a couple incidents of memory loss. ie; i could not remember my street address. I am still unable to go through a normal schedule for a day and have maybe a 2 hr window of energy in the mornig before needing to lay down again. what is going on, what can I do to recouperate faster. the doctor has recommended I see a neurologist. I am frightened, normally a very active, healthy 42 yr old woman. I have had ct scan, ekg, chest xray etc etc while inhospital and nothing was showing of concern. please share info, help, advice.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello and Welcome,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Sepsis is often a nasty ordeal and my heart goes out to both of you. I notice you have a question mark after Sepsis and UTI - does that mean you're uncertain of the DX (diagnosis)?

Much like most other conditions and/or infections your general health can have a play in the outcome. I mean this in regards to how quickly and completely you recover - and/or how extreme or severe an infection or disease actually becomes.

In PPS (Post Sepsis Syndrome) that seems to play a part to some degree but not to a large degree. Healthy, young ppl can develop PPS and Seniors may not ever develop it. It's a crap shoot.

65 is no longer considered old - as it was 60-75 years ago. I would hope the odds are pretty equal in for his recovery. Sepsis - unlike most infections -  effects our body as a whole and can just take time.

I hope your husband has a complete recovery and will be healthy and chipper for your Anniversary Cruise. Please let us know how he is doing. If you have additional questions - or just want to chat or vent, we're here.

Warm Wishes,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
My 65yr husband was discharged after 5 days in hospital with septasaemia ? Caused by a UTI?  2wks ago He was admitted with a high temp, terrible confusion,disorientation scored 4 out of 20 on a mini mental test.  Now  still gets some words muddled ,remains very tired , poor appetite, going on a cruise in 6 myths for our 45 Anniversary. Just hope he's well by then. Reading above notes there seems no guidelines to expect decent recovery. Is this right ?
Helpful - 0
Hi Sharon,

Welcome to the Senior Health Community at MedHelp.

I've been close to dying several times. I had hallucinations also. I think you're asking if they were real? Medical science will say no. Those hallucinations are caused by medications or lack of oxygen to your brain.

That said - I don't always believe what Medical Science says. Personally I think it depends on the situation and the person. I also think that only that person knows what they "saw" or felt.

My hallucinations occurred even when I was awake. I actually saw my mother's head fold back in quarter folds and a black and white setting hen (chicken) rose - like on a hydraulic pedestal - from the top of her head. I know that was a hallucination. So maybe it depends on what you are calling a hallucination.

We're you "visited" by loved ones lost in death - or by a higher power? I believe that those things can and do happen. That's a belief system I hold - but science sure doesn't.

Believe what brings you comfort my dear. Life is short - take all the good  and comfort you can find. Those are my thoughts. I think your heart knows.

Peace,
~Tuck

Helpful - 0
Welcome. Sorry I'm tardy to your post. I didn't see it till just now.

First let me tell you how to begin a new thread. Simply go to the top of this thread and on the right hand side click on the green bar that says "Post A Question."

It took me several years - close to five - to begin feeling normal again after my numerous bouts of Sepsis in a very short period of time.  Mine too came from the kidney. However I had so many other issues and continued surgeries and interventions that I was never certain what made me feel so horrid and out of touch.

I'm sorry you are struggling so much. You're correct - most medical professionals do not know about  PPS, or Post Sepsis Syndrome. I encourage you to enlighten them. Go to the web-site and print off the information. Hand it to your physicians after you have read it thoroughly. Ask for their thoughts and a plan of action.

I hope you'll get an MD to listen to you. My heart breaks for you and all of us who have experienced PPS.

My Best,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
I think it took me nearly three months to recover at home from Sepsis. I had to use a walker at first and there were many things I couldn't do on my own. I'm Lucky I recovered so soon especially since I'm 65, have a chronic lung disease and MS. Besides from that, I still think about the realistic Hallucinations I had when I was uncontious. I'm beginning to think they weren't hallucinations. Please let me know if/what kind of thoughts you had if you were close to dying.
Helpful - 0
Since the medical community knows so little of how it feels to live after sepsis, it is such a relief to find people who do understand.In 2012 my sepsis began in the kidney and quickly turned into septic shock. I was put in the ICU where I stayed on heart pumpers for several days. In many ways the days since then have been harder than the days in the hospital. I survived, but like many of you I wonder when (or worse if) I will ever feel awake again and live without pain. I truly feel like it is always 2 am. It is hard as a 41 year old homeschool mom of three to simply get through each day. Most of the time I do not feel "justified" in my fatigue since it has been so long since I was sick. As a result I have sought out neurologists, endocrinologists, rheumatologist so and even had a sleep study in order to find out what to do to feel better.  All of this to no avail. So perhaps it is just a journey of living with this new normal of trying to get through each day with a VERY limited amount of energy? Is that what you all have found? Sorry....I did not know how to start a new thread.....
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life