Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV - International Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Risk of HIV

About a week ago from today, 9/14, I had unprotected sex with a black male that has a history of drug use. I am positive for herpes, but I did not have a breakout at the time. One week later, I'm showing symptoms of a yeast infection. What is the likelihood that I could have contracted HIV? I'm a white female mid 20's. When should I become worried? I'm very nervous.
4 Responses
1024580 tn?1331577721
Hello,
None of these symptoms can be related to HIV as it is far too early.  Most symptoms of sero-conversion would normally start after 2 weeks of a possible infection.  The risk of contracting HIV through unprotected vaginal intercourse, assuming that the man was positive, is estimated at 3%.  Not knowing the status of the man, the risk would be much lower than that.  You need to get tested: a PCR RNA test at 10 days or a Duo test at 4 weeks.  You would also need a full STD screening.
Best wishes,
Dr José
A related discussion, Abrasion on the skin of groin.Any Risk? was started.
A related discussion, hiv oral was started.
A related discussion, What to do..What is the risk in my case was started.
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.