HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV/Hep C from Cocaine Straw

I know this question has been asked before but I can't seem to relax and s doctor's advice would be great. I did get advice from a forum here and just want to hear from another person. I was at a high school reunion party and seeing some old friends we ended up drinking a lot. One of the guys had some cocaine and asked me if I wanted some, I never tried it and had a 4 sniffs through out the night. When I woke the next morning my mucus was kind of bloody. I had the straw from the night before and I could not see any blood on the tip; there was some white powder hardened around the top. I do not know his status and feel if I tracked him down I would seem quite paranoid and crazy sounding. Is HIV/HepC a real risk here? I took a Elisa HIV test and Hep C Elisa at 6 weeks, is this conclusive? If co-infection did occur can this delay the detectable antibodies? My wife and I are trying to have kids and I'm just nervous.
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for looking at other questions similar to your own.

And of course the answer is the same as you expect.  Sharing cocaine snorting tubes may carry some theoretical risk for transmission of blood-borne infections, but I am unaware of a single well documented case in which it actually happened -- i.e. no proved transmissions of HIV, HBV, or HCV and would not have recommended testing for any of them.  In any case, your negative HIV and HCV tests at 6 weeks are definitive.  Co-infection does not delay antibody detection for either infection.

I don't think it's worth the time and energy to track down your classmate to ask about HIV or hepatitis status.  Even if positive, there is no significant risk.  You can and should continue unprotected sex with your wife without worry.

I hope this has been helpful.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Yes, this was very helpful. I am just very excited to start a family and the idea that this dumb thing I did could jeopardize it made me insane. Deep down I knew I was being dramatic but I did the worst possible thing and started researching the internet. I take your expert advice and not worry anymore over this and enjoy the summer. All the best.
Thanks for the thanks.  Have a great summer yourself.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.