Asparagus w Curry Butter --Side dish

From Eatingwell Magazine.  Yes, butter!  You can have it!  This is a very simple, quick side dish.  Don't leave out the shallot.

Check your brand of curry powder; if it has added salt, you can omit the calt in the recipe, or salt to taste.

2 tsp butter, melted
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
2 tsps extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, finely diced
1 bunch asparagus (about 1 lb), trimmed and cut into 1 in pieces.

1.  Combine butter, curry powder, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl.

2.  Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over med heat.  Add shallot and cook, stirring until softened, about 2 min.  Add asparagus and cook, stirring, until just tender, 3 to 5 min.  Stir the curry butter into the asparagus; toss to coat.

Makes 4 servings, about 1/2 cup each.

Per serving:  67 cals, 5 gm fat (2 gm sat, 2 gm mono), 6 gms carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 2 gm fiber, 161 mg sodium
Bonus:  Folate-40% of the RDA, Vit A-25%, Vit C-15%!!
Sounds terrific!  Would be good with broccoli, cauliflower, peas or brussel sprouts too!
is curry "really" spicy..  or just a tad spicy?
Depends on what kind you get.

Curry powder a mixture of turmeric, fenugreek, cinnamon, cardamom, and cumin. Sometimes they include some cayenne pepper which makes it spicy.
i'll look the next time we go to the store for one w/out the cayenne pepper.  (we don't do spicy, lol!)  we love asparagus but we only cook it one way (in the oven w/ olive oil and parm cheese) so a new taste would be great!
Sounds amazing! I LOVE curry and asparagus is my favorite veggie :) I would probably add some more veggies in too like broccoli and cauliflower. Yummmmm

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community