Chicken-Barley Bake

I've made this, and its excellent.  Its always good to try new grains and get out of the rice or potato rut.
Its just as good with broccoli or spinach in place of the carrots.

1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup pearl barley
1 chicken boullion cube
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1-2 cloves minced garlic
4 skinned chicken thighs (or use about 1-1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cubed in lg pieces
2 TBS chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 350.  
In a med saucepan, combine onion, carrots, water, barley, boullion cube, poultry seasoning, and garlic.  Heat until boiling, stirring to mix.  Pour hot mixture into a 2 qt. casserole dish.
Arrange chicken on top of mixture.  
Bake, covered, for 1 hour or until barley and chicken are tender.  Take cover off during the last 15 min.  Sprinkle with parsley.
That sounds yummy! I'm looking forward to trying some of these grains you have mentioned. I do get in such a rut!!.. I think they may be starting to get easier to find now too. Although I still haven't been able to find quinoa. I'll look at Fresh Mkt ..

Thanks,
Sandy
Just tried this tonight and it really is good !! I was hoping for a rainy night .. it sounds so comforting... but wouldn't you know, it was hot again .. and no rain. But this is a really good and different casserole !

Sandy
Hi.  That sounds like one of my hubbies favorite get well soups that I make him when he has a bad cold.  I also add celery and canned tomatoes in.  My problem with writing out recipes are that I'm one of those cooks that start out with B/S Chic Breast (or whatever meat sounds good) and then just starts throwing things in that seems like it would go good with it.  Nothing usually turns out the same twice.  LOL.  

I'll have to try some spinach in it next time. : - )

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community