Cookies for Santa--Post them here!

GINGER CRINKLE COOKIES

This is from EatingWell d o t com

Cynthia Farr-Weinfeld, a hypnotherapist and writer, started improving the nutritional profile of a friend’s mother’s ginger cookie recipe by substituting whole-wheat pastry flour for all-purpose flour and canola oil for shortening. “Experiment with these cookies,” she advises, “as they taste great either slightly underdone or crispy.” She calls them “the quickest cookies you’ll ever bake.”

Makes 34 cookies

2/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups turbinado sugar, divided (see Tip)
1 large egg
4 tablespoons molasses
2 cups sifted whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix oil and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl until combined. Beat in egg until combined. Stir in molasses until evenly incorporated. Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt over the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
3. Put the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and roll each ball in the sugar before placing 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Do not flatten.
4. Bake the cookies until set, but still soft when gently touched, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per cookie: 103 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat

TIP: Tip: Turbinado sugar is steam-cleaned raw cane sugar. It’s coarse-grained and light brown in color, with a slight molasses flavor. The coarse texture adds great crunch when used in baking. Find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or at natural-foods stores.

MAKE AHEAD TIP: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I copied Gloria's Snickerdoodles here:

Allrecipes----24 servings---A less fattening version of an old favorite.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar (you can get by with less than that)
4 ounces low fat cream cheese
1 egg
2 egg whites
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, 1 1/2 cups white sugar, and cream cheese. Beat in the egg and egg whites until smooth. Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Cover, and refrigerate dough for at least on hour.

Preheat oven to 400*
In a small dish, mix together the remaining white sugar and cinnamon. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and roll the balls in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Place the balls at least 2 inches apart on cookie sheets, and flatten slighty.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.

Helpful - 0
From April 2

Sugarless Applesauce Cookies

1/4 cup margarine
1 tablespoon granulated sugar replacement
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons water
1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup chopped raisins

Cream margarine and sugar replacement. Stir in applesauce and water. Sift combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves, then stir into applesauce mixture. Fold in raisins. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes in preheated oven. 375 degrees.
Helpful - 0
I'm noticing that these recipes have sugar in them, is this for the low blood sugar diabetic? .
Helpful - 0
The Applesauce cookies don't have sugar in them. I got this recipe from a diabetic cookbook, too. You use a sugar replacement. They're pretty good. More cake like than cookie but quite good.
Helpful - 0
I replace the sugar with Splenda.
Helpful - 0
Thank You ,, the white flour is another no no and I notice diabetic recipes have white flour in them even in the diabetic cook books.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community