Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Cooking the fat out of Tounge?

I have a love of cooking beef tounge, but have been wanting to cut down on the fat naturaly marbled into the meat, any advice?

I tend to cook it in a crockpot for long hours, starting it in the early morning for dinner that night.
Things I add ussualy include lots of garlic, red and or black pepper, a bit of bay leaf, chopped onion, a few dashes of tabasco, and sometimes a bit of rosemarry. I don't have a set recipy just toss it in by feel, smell and taste.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
506791 tn?1439842983
Good evening;

What you may want to do is cook the tongue a day ahead of time, let it cool in the refrigerator, the fat rises and solidifies, scrape it off the top of the broth.

I do this to "de-fat" chicken and beef broth.

take care - Pip
Helpful - 0
Well the probolem is the fat that stays marbled in the beef it's self, I am looking for any way to pull that out.
Helpful - 0
506791 tn?1439842983
I see what you mean, now; marbling is a situation with which I had not thought to deal.

Perhaps piercing the tongue with one of those needle type tenderizers or pre-slicing before cooking?  This would open up the fat deposits and allow more to cook out.

...hmm, more thought needed.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.