Fast & Easy Thai Curry

Peek is about to buy red curry paste for the first time.  I know she is still suffering from excess maple syrup because of me so am helping her out with a way to use up the extra curry paste.  I make this when I need a really fast and easy food.  This is my comfort food too!

1/2 lb. protein (fish, boneless chicken pieces, beef, pork, shrimp, etc.)
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 1/2 tbsp. curry paste (green, yellow or red - different heats and flavours - I make them all depending on my mood)
1 can lower fat coconut milk
2 tbsp. fish sauce (Thai Kitchen also has a brand - keeps in your pantry for ages)
1 tsp. white or brown sugar
6 kaffir lime leaves (I buy these from an Asian food mart and keep in the freezer - you can also buy dried, but if you can't get then substitue in 1 tbsp. lime juice)
1 to 1 1/2 cups vegetables (I often use frozen Asian veggie mix and one chunked onion, but throw in whatever you have.  Broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, bamboo shoots, eggplant, squash, peas, potatoes, etc.  If I am making a red curry I also include a couple of cut up tomatoes)
Optional - 1/2 tsp. paprika if making red curry

In a wok or large frying pan stir fry the oil, curry paste and 4 tbsp. of the coconut milk until fragrant.  If using meat or onions add now and saute for 2 minutes (if using fish or shrimp add near end and just cook for 2-3 minutes until cooked through).  Add the rest of can of coconut and remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and cook 10 minutes.  Remove lime leaves.  Serve with jasmine or basmati rice or thai rice noodles.
We'll all have the best stocked pantries in town, at any rate!
I have so many spices and pantry items due to loving so many international foods that I had to install two Ikea pull out pantries!!!

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community