Ha, not really a question but a project

Just going to share a piece of my life here . .     my son is in a special program in school (for big brains) and they get these odd and HUGE projects.  The one he has right now is a long mystery.  Part of it has to do with a secret chocolate bar recipe.  He had to search the internet and find one (he's 9) and is supposed to make it and try it to see if it is indeed delicious.  It's supposed to be like a candy bar which ya know . . .   that's kind of hard to make from scratch to taste like the traditional store bought candy bar which is in my son's mind what he wants to achieve.  

He found his recipe:  
3 c sugar
3c milk
5 T cocoa
1 T butter
1 t vanilla.

Combine sugar, milk and cocoa in a pan and bring to a boil, while stirring.  Boil until the mixture the soft ball stage at 234 to 240 degrees.
remove from heat and stir the butter (which I assume we'll need to melt) and vanilla until creamy.  Pour into greased tray (have cupcake wrappers that we're going to use) and allow to cool.  Store in air tight container.

Who thinks this will be a total disaster????  ha ha

Had to go buy a candy thermometer today.  I love his projects but man, they are a big pain sometimes.  ha ha
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh, and I know this isn't 'healthy cooking' but thought I'd share it with my favorite cooks!  (so you can laugh at me)
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
I can't wait to see when the boiled mixture reaches it's soft ball stage.  :>0
Helpful - 0
I can't wait to hear how this turns out.  I wouldn't get past the soft ball stage....it would be down my gullet!  :0)
Helpful - 0
Fill the bottom of the double boiler halfway with water.

Pour the chocolate chips into the top of the double boiler.

Set the top half of the double boiler onto of the bottom half and place the
pot on the stove over low heat.

Stir the chocolate chips constantly until they're just melted.

Stir in any additions to your chocolate bar, such as chopped nuts, crisp rice, toffee bits, coarse sea salt or dried fruit bits, if desired.

Remove the pan from the heat and pour the liquified chocolate into a candy bar mold, available at craft stores or online.

Place the mold in the refrigerator and allow it to chill until the chocolate is completely set.

Wrap the candy bar in aluminum foil and store it in a cool, dry place.
If you don't have a double boiler, you can melt the chips in the microwave. Pour them into a glass or ceramic bowl and cover it loosely with plastic wrap, leaving a small space open to vent. Microwave the chocolate on high for 30 seconds and then stir. Continue cooking and stirring at 30-second intervals until the chocolate is just melted.

Things You'll Need
6 oz. chocolate chips, or about half of a 12 oz. bag
Double boiler
Spoon
Chopped nuts, crisp rice cereal, toffee bits, coarse sea salt or dried fruit
bits
Candy bar mold

Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
hm!!!!!!!!!!!!  a second recipe to try is the soft ball chocolate (which sounds good to nursegirl but not so much to me . . .  is a flop.  

I have all the ingredients but not a double broiler or candy molds.  So, happy there is info on using the microwave and glass jar.  I could use what I was doing for the other chocolates which is cupcake wrappers in cupcake tins.  Right?  I also have some silicone ice cube trays that are in shapes.  Who wouldn't love a chocolate mustache??  (yes, I make punch for my kids with mustache shaped ice cubes . .  .  we know how to party at my house!)
Helpful - 0
You can make a double boiler with two saucepans, a bigger one for the water, and  a smaller one to set in the water (where the chocolate will go).  Personally, I cheat and buy the "dipping" chocolate that melts easily in its own cup.  ;0)
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
So, we are going to try the other recipe tomorrow night.  LOL

Note to self . . .   making chocolate candy from scratch is not easy.  We made two batches and it took roughly two hour, an hour of stirring for each one.  the first one, I learned that the whole thing WILL boil all over.  And over and over.  My poor stove.  So, we switched to a much larger pan and stirred like Olympic stirring champions.  Of course my 9 year old on his chair kept telling me his arm hurt so I took over.  My biceps are bulging!  And it got so hot, I was sweating like a chocolate pig. Stirring and stirring and stirring waiting for that soft ball to appear.  We used a thermometer that I have no idea is really what I'm supposed to use-  giving myself a little scalding from steam every time I checked and still no ball when we went past the temp the recipe called for.  It still looked pretty creamy.  So, we put it in the papers and wa la .  .  . 5 minutes later I realize we have some delicious rock hard lollipops.  I mean, honestly, if someone breaks into our house, I have these rock solid chocolate disks to throw at them like chocolate batarangs.  So, no waiting for the soft ball next time.  But we still waited a bit too long.  They were better but more like chocolate taffy.  After two tries we called it a night.  I'm frankly lucky to still have eye brows after all that hot stirring.  And getting that chocolate out of my pans might be a teeny tiny challenge.  

On the plus side, my son is proud as punch of himself.  he found the recipe, he mixed it up, and he did 'some' of the stirring.  He's feeling very successful.  He says it's the best chocolate treat ever and sat and  licked his rock hard lollipop for a while and then worked on chewing the taffy like chocolate until I told  him to stop for fear he may break a tooth . . .   but he loved every minute of it and I guess that is what counts.  :>)  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community