Snapper Veracruzana

Snapper Veracruzana
Recipe by Chef/Restauranteur Richard Sandoval

What you’ll need:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small white onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp white vinegar
¾ cup green olives, chopped
1/8 cup capers, rinsed
8 oz clam juice
8 oz Clamato juice
½ cinnamon stick
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Pinch oregano
2 tomatoes, diced
salt and pepper, to taste
4 6-oz. snapper filets
Cilantro and lime wedges, for garnish

How to make it:
1. In a large saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp oil, the onion, and the garlic over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the poblano, red bell, and yellow bell peppers along with the tomato paste. Cooking, stirring, until the paste is well caramelized and the peppers are just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the vinegar, green olives, capers, clam juice, Clamato juice, cinnamon stick, crushed red pepper flakes, and oregano. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick, add the tomatoes, and cook, stirring ocassionally, until well incorporated, about 5 minutes. Season to taste and reserve.
2. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high, heat the remaining olive oil. Season the snapper with salt and pepper on both sides. Add the fish to the skillet and sear the fillets on one side until well browned, about 2 minutes. Flip the fish and pour the sauce atop the fillets. Simmer the fish in the sauce until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Divide the filets among 4 plates and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
This would be good!!  I always am looking for good fish recipes.  Husband loves fish and I could slap a fish on a baking sheet with nothing on it and he'd eat it.  I have to dress it up a little to like it myself.  :>)  Thanks for sharing this!
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
May give this a try this weekend!  Have been trying to eat more fish.  Tis the season!
Helpful - 0
Shrimp Veracruz would be yummy
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh, that would!!  Good idea!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community