Spinach and Coconut Curry

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 small green chilies, finely minced
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
10 ozs. of fresh baby spinach leaves or 10 ozs. of frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 can of coconut milk (can use the light variety)
4 tbsp oil (vegetable or canola)
freshly chopped cilantro leaves for garnish

Method:

In a large pot on medium high heat, add the oil. Then add the onions, when they have softened, add the green chilies, ginger and garlic. Stir to combine and add the spices (salt, pepper, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder, ground coriander and the ground cumin). Stir for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is fragrant, and add the tomatoes. Stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1-2 cups of water (depending on how thick you like your curry). Add the coconut milk, cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 20-30 minutes. Add the drained chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the fresh or frozen spinach leaves (roughly chopped). Stir and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes and check your seasonings. Make any necessary adjustments. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves and serve.
You beat me to it, I adore this recipe, between making a meat loaf for foreign visitors (if you can call the English that)  I make a really great curry I already have a couple with coconut but not with spinach,I love vegetarian, although still eat turkey and chicken , lapsed,...so your recipe is very welcome ...Thank you for this
This sounds out of this WORLD.   I'll have to run it through a recipe builder and see how many calories and stuff, but it looks very light.

SK, you always post the most delicious recipes!

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community