Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 small green chilies, finely minced
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
10 ozs. of fresh baby spinach leaves or 10 ozs. of frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 can of coconut milk (can use the light variety)
4 tbsp oil (vegetable or canola)
freshly chopped cilantro leaves for garnish

Method:

In a large pot on medium high heat, add the oil. Then add the onions, when they have softened, add the green chilies, ginger and garlic. Stir to combine and add the spices (salt, pepper, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder, ground coriander and the ground cumin). Stir for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is fragrant, and add the tomatoes. Stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1-2 cups of water (depending on how thick you like your curry). Add the coconut milk, cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 20-30 minutes. Add the drained chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the fresh or frozen spinach leaves (roughly chopped). Stir and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes and check your seasonings. Make any necessary adjustments. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves and serve.
3 Responses
535822 tn?1443976780
You beat me to it, I adore this recipe, between making a meat loaf for foreign visitors (if you can call the English that)  I make a really great curry I already have a couple with coconut but not with spinach,I love vegetarian, although still eat turkey and chicken , lapsed,...so your recipe is very welcome ...Thank you for this
172023 tn?1334672284
This sounds out of this WORLD.   I'll have to run it through a recipe builder and see how many calories and stuff, but it looks very light.

483733 tn?1326798446
SK, you always post the most delicious recipes!
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.