Summer Squash and Chive Soup

serves 2, time 45-55 min. Calories 694 • Total fat 60 g • Fiber 12 g • Protein 12 g • Sodium 298 mg

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 pound summer squash, cut into medium sized cubes
    ½ pound onion, sliced thinly sliced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 and ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
    3 tablespoons minced chives
    juice of 1 lemon
    2 teaspoons sea salt
    8 ounces full fat coconut milk
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    Garnish:
    1 beet, julienned
    1-2 radishes, julienned

Heat a sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and sauté the onions, stirring occasionally until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.

Stir in the summer squash and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cook until fragrant, and then pour in the chicken stock. Cover and simmer until tender, about 10-12 minutes.

Pour in the coconut milk, simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Afterwards, pour the soup into a blender and add the lemon juice and coconut oil.  Place the top on the blender and blend the mixture on high for 45 seconds until smooth and creamy.   NOTE:  Because hot liquids expand when blended, we recommend placing a folded up dishtowel on the lid of the blender and holding down the lid to avoid a big mess and possible injury.  Fold in the salt and chives.

divide amongst two bowls and top with the julienned veggies.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
that sounds great i will try this one..
Helpful - 0
thanks for the recipe..
Mommy, for you anything!
I can't recall the source of the recipe.
Helpful - 0
Now, I'd not have put those ingredients together but when reading the recipe here, could be very tasty.  Good time of year to try this.  I have squash galore!!  Thanks for sharing Gym!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community