Tra la la la la la la LA

Happy Holidays!!  Okay, here is a challenge.  I have two sons--- one picky, one easier going about food, age 9 and 10.  The holiday time is so full.  I find myself making dinner on the fly.  I'm looking for some easy ideas to feed the kids.  I like crockpots, stove top and baked dishes.  I'm thinking of using my crock pot on Christmas Eve so that we can go to church and come home to dinner.  Or maybe have something I can make ahead and then pop in the oven.  In years past, I've tried to make a fancy meal and slaved away in the kitchen while the family enjoyed the fire and a Christmas movie.  This year . . .  I want to watch the Christmas movie too so want to keep things EASY but TASTY!  Ideas?????  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
                       Bison Coconut Cream Curry Stew
Serves 5, prep time 15 minutes,

1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic
Coconut oil, as needed for sautéing
1 lb. bison stew meat
2 teaspoon curry
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons coconut cream concentrate
2 cups beef broth
1 medium sized sweet potato, cubed
1 medium sized carrot, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium size zucchini, chopped
8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced

Sauté onion and garlic in coconut oil until onion is soft. Add bison and sauté for another 2 minutes.
Add curry, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper and coconut cream concentrate and beef broth. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Add remaining ingredients and continue cooking until the vegetables are soft and cooked through.
Serve over rice or pasta and top with sour cream or plain yogurt.

Pork Shoulder Amatriciana
2 lb. pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup white wine
8 cups canned plum tomatoes
8 garlic cloves, peeled, plus 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped, plus 1 medium rend onion, sliced into ½-inch thick wedges
1 bay leaf
8 leave fresh basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup thin strips of guanciale, pancetta, or bacon
1 large bunch escarole, washed, trimmed, and torn into large pieces
Grated pecorino, for serving

Preheat your oven to 375°F. Season the pork with salt and pepper.
Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and sear until all sides are
well browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side, working in batches, if needed. Transfer the pork to a plate lined
with paper towels. Pour out the excess oil from the skillet and return to the heat. Deglaze the skillet
with the wine, scraping up the browned bits. Return the pork to the skillet. Add 4 cups tomatoes, the 8
whole peeled garlic cloves, the chopped red onion, bay leaf, basil, and red pepper flakes.

Cover the skillet with a lid and braise the pork in the oven until the meat pulls apart easily, 1 to 1 ½
hours.

As the pork cooks, make the Amatriciana sauce. In a large sauté pan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over
medium heat. Add the guanciale and cook until it begins to crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Pour off about half the
fat. Add the remaining tomatoes, thinly sliced garlic, and onion wedges. Mix well and simmer until the
onions soften, 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste.

As the sauce simmers, make the escarole. In a separate, large sauté pan, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp of
oil over medium heat. Add the escarole and sauté until slightly wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste.

Remove the pork from the oven, transfer it to plate and top with the Amatriciana sauce and pecorino.
Serve with a side of the escarole. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Those look tasty!  Thanks!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community