SSHL recovery timeframe

at what point does a person with diagnosed SSHL, who has already been treated with oral steroids and tympanic injections of steroids, give up hope of experiencing any further hearing improvement?
Hi and welcome to the Hearing Loss community.

I am so sorry to hear about your SSHL. Have you looked into surgical options? I wonder if you could pursue the Cochlear BAHA, Med-El Vibrant Soundbridge, or a cochlear implant?

Sounds like you are dealing with tinnitus as well as hearing loss. That is unfortunately common with sensorineural damage.

I can imagine how hard this loss would be. Have you considered visiting with a psychologist or taking medication to help you get through this change?

BC

Thank you so much for sharing your amzaing story .. i also have been in the same situation ..been diagnosed with SSHL for right ear .. Althought my hearing loss is mild .. I am planning to take the Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy ..
and will post my outcome .

Also wondering how were you able to reduce tinittus ..? Did you make a full recovery from tinittus ? Pls share any thoughts regarding this ..
I have just suffered SSHL, i am not completely deaf but do have a hissing noise in the ear, in quiet environments it is ok to live with but in noisy environments it irritates the ear and the hissing noise, i certainly would not go to a concert at the moment.

Have you experienced the hissing noise and if so has that got better over time?

Gerard

Gerard
Gerard,

Hi and welcome to the Hearing Loss community. It's nice to meet you.

So sorry to hear about your tinnitus. When did you develop hearing loss and tinnitus? Do you know what caused it? Did the doctor try any medications (maybe steroids?), and how did you respond to them?

That helps predict how things will go for you. Everyone is so different that it is hard to compare experiences. There are so many causes of tinnitus and hearing loss.

In the meanwhile, how are you handling the hearing loss?

Take care,

BC
Thanks for your message,

I went swimming and had water in my ear so thought that was the cause, went to the doctor and he gave me ear drops, back again after two weeks and gave me nose spray as he thought the tube from my nose to the ear was blocked, two weeks later asked doctor to send me to ENT which he did. They carried out an ear test and diagnosed SSHL, started on steroids, been on them for seven days but the noise in my ear has got worse and when i am in a noisy environment i get a resonating in my deaf ear and the side of my head. I have had a MRI scan and blood test and get the results tomorrow, finding it all hard to deal with.

Have you had SSHL yourself, and have you improved/had any treatment??

Regards,

Gerard

You are reading content posted in the Hearing Loss Community

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life