SSHL recovery timeframe

at what point does a person with diagnosed SSHL, who has already been treated with oral steroids and tympanic injections of steroids, give up hope of experiencing any further hearing improvement?
How crazy! I can imagine that would be overwhelming.

I have mild hearing loss and tinnitus, but mine fluctuates and is on the mend right now. Mine is neurological, however--the hearing nerve or brain stem rather than the middle ear or inner ear. I have multiple sclerosis.

I hope you feel better soon!

BC
I too have just been diagnosed with SSHL.  Its two weeks out with no improvement.  Blood work normal MRI normal.  This site give me hope that maybe i can regain some hearing.  Nice to know i am not alone
I was just diagnosed 2  weeks ago. I have been taking Prednisone and have had 2 shots in the ear. I am starting to hear some faint noises. I was wondering how others are doing and if the hyperbaric treatment helps.
Looks like I just joined a group of confused, angry, people.  I too have been diagnosed with SHL.  Now I am confused, angry and hoping that my hearing comes back also.  

Last week I laid down to take a nap and woke up with no hearing in my right ear.  The buzzing is awful.  Non stop.  I did go to urgent care the next morning and received a steroid shot and the next week made it to the ENT.  Still, the news is not favorable.  I think what irritates me the most, is that my husband had to call about 8 ENTs to get me into one in a timely fashion.  By then it would have been a month or longer.  

Why don't the ENTs make it an effort to treat this urgently.  We are all angry and confused when this first happens.

ShirleyH
I am very surprised you had trouble getting into an ENT quickly, if you made very clear to them that it was a SUDDEN hearing loss. ENTs should know that is an otological emergency. At least it used to be so considered; I'm not sure whether that has changed due to the lack of success and knowledge in treating it. (Supposedly 90 percent of cases remain without a known cause.) Still, I'm shocked you had to call that many.

Good luck--hope you get your hearing back. If not, Baha has been a good solution for me.
Shirley
I and to go to a second ent to get aggressive treatment. I went to a local urgent care and they miss diagnosed. I went to my Dr. they just gave me antibiotics. 2 days later I did get into a local PA ENT. She diagnosed it correctly but just gave me a low dose of prednisone. I decided to get a second opinion and fortunately I did get into a top ENT. She was great and gave me both shots and a higher dose of prednisone. She also suggested taking zinc. It's been 4wks now and I have recovered a good portion of my hearing. Unfortunately I still have the tinnitus. I was fortunate to aggressively try to get the right treatment. Most folks aren't that fortunate.
Good luck!
How much Zinc was recommended. I just found this site.  I recently was diagnosed

You are reading content posted in the Hearing Loss Community

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life