SSHL recovery timeframe

at what point does a person with diagnosed SSHL, who has already been treated with oral steroids and tympanic injections of steroids, give up hope of experiencing any further hearing improvement?
Thanks for the conformation that my ENT is doing the right thing.  I go this Friday for an MRI.  Some of the hearing has returned, but it seems to come and go.  Still not anywhere near normal.  Each word a person says must be enunciated clearly or I have trouble making it out with my right ear.  Talking fast is also very difficult to understand.  My daughter has already told my grandchildren what is gong on.  My how life changes suddenly.  Now if only this tinnitus would go away.  I think it is the worse.  
It was made very clear that it was sudden hearing loss.  My husband was very angry that it was going to take about 2 weeks to a month to get in.  I am so very glad that he was aggressive in finding me a Dr. that seems to be doing the right thing.  Some hearing has returned but the tinnitus is the worse.  I so hope that it will go away.  I could live with the hearing loss better if the 24/7 ringing goes away.
Hi Shirley--I'm glad, too, that your husband was aggressive in getting you in soon. I thought all ENTs, at least, understood how important this is! I'm shocked. (And horrified.) Medicine seems to be getting less and less responsive and conscientious about individual patients' circumstances and needs. Maybe doctors are just getting overburdened to the point they can't do their jobs. I really don't know.

Sorry about the tinnitus. I was bummed when I realized mine was going to be permanent (it pretty much comes with the territory in hearing loss), but to tell the truth, I fairly quickly stopped even noticing it unless I'd think about it. It's amazing how the brain can adapt and tune things out.

Try to focus on your everyday life and not worry about the tinnitus. It will eventually settle down and become less bothersome, especially after you've got the MRI and know that it's not a sign of anything to worry about. What you want is to NOT let the tinnitus intrude on your life. I began thinking of it as just a "normal" part of me, my "friendly neighborhood tinnitus," and in fact on those rare occasions when it seems to stop for a couple of hours, I feel like something's wrong!!

Don't let it get a foothold in making you anxious, irritated, or obsessed with it, because that's when you will really have a problem. If that does happen, there IS treatment, in the form of masking, habituation, maybe anti-anxiety meds, etc. But the vast majority of people live with tinnitus without it becoming a problem in their lives. Just don't let it worm its way into your life as a problem, and you will be better able to ignore it and tune it out.

Best of luck and I hope you get more hearing back and a reduction in the tinnitus!
Thanks for your encouraging words.  I will post again after I get the results of the MRI.  Take care, and have a great few days.
I am also a musician and I also teach music at university. My SSHL came on over a month ago with tinnitus and dizziness, I had three weeks of oral prednisone that me me very weak, tired and irritable. It seemed to do nothing for my condition. I also had three injections of another steroid with no apparent improvement. I am having acupuncture and taking herbs and vitamins. The severity of the hearing loss and tinnitus seems to be directly related to how tired I am. If I get tired the condition worsens and the only thing that seems to help at all is bed rest. Last week I thought there was some improvement, but on the weekend I played a gig and went for a day trip the next day. I had to spend two days in bed after that. Again there was a tiny bit of improvement but after teaching all day today my hearing is now totally gone on the left side and the tinnitus has started in my right ear as well. I am very worried but am finding some encouragement from the news that some people here have had a slow, long recovery, but a recovery nonetheless. Has anyone noticed that bed rest helps?
What kind of doctor are you seeing? I am NOT an expert by any means, but I would think that with something starting in your other ear, you should have AIED (autoimmune inner ear disease) ruled out. I hope you are seeing a true neuro-otologist or oto-neurologist.

Best of luck.

You are reading content posted in the Hearing Loss Community

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life