Heart Disease Forum

Ascending Aorta

Nov. 11, I had a ct scan from chest to pelvic.  My oncology doctor is the one who ordered a ct scan to check for cancer, which I had 2 1/2 yrs. ago.  Everything is well with that, but a mild prominence of the ascending aorta was found to be 3.9 cm.  What exactly is that and what could be done.  I am 57 and 5' 4", 160lbs.  I had colon cancer in 2006, second stage with surgery, then rediagnosed 2009 with fourth stage colon cancer, had surgery and chemo for 9 months.  During that time I had an ablation with an interruption, doctors had to do emergency surgery.  They put catheter in to drain blood and fluid from a poke in my heart sack.  I wonder if this has to do with the most recent find of  the ascending aorta?  Please talk to me.  Thanks
This finding describes the presence of having a dilated ascending aorta -- meaning that the size is larger than the normal dimensions of this area of the aorta. This is usually followed serially over time with noninvasive imaging such as an echocardiogram or CT scan until it reaches a point that surgical repair is warranted.  This usually is when it reaches 5.0-5.5 cm or less (4.5-5.0) if there are other co-morbidities present such as a bicuspid aortic valve or history of Marfans disease (a genetic disorder). It is unlikely this is due to any of your previous medical history including the pericardiocentesis (blood filling the perciardial space).
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.