Heart Disease Community
20k Members

Moderate atherosclerotic calcification of the aorta and bilateral iliac vessels.

I have had severe back pain for 10 yrs and hip pain for last 3 yrs. Then 10/29 after 6 days of the worse pain ever when my BP & pulse rose I went to the ER. The ER concentrated on my back & hip pain. 2 weeks later I downloaded my test results & became concerned (5 months ago I had a angio w stenting for 80% right kidney blockage) when pelvis CD showed Moderate to advanced atherosclerotic calcification of the aorta and bilateral iliac vessels.  I faxed the results to my cardiologist saying "It would appear I have another blockage". I got a call the next day from his office saying they were sending CT results to my vascular surgeon but of course I have heard nothing from his office. Nevertheless, I am very concerned about these results. Do you believe I am unnecessarily being concerned?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Not at all, I think I would be concerned too if I read I have a moderate to severe atherosclerotic calcification of the aorta and bilateral iliac vessels, it's  mean you may not be getting enough oxygenated blood to your legs and organs. I know I would be all over both the doctor that ordered the test and your vascular surgeon, they owe you some answers.

Let us know how it works out and good luck............JON
Jon, TY for your reply (I KNEW I should be very concerned why I sent it to my cardiologist.)
I  faxed the vascular surgeon's office 25 mins. ago and questioned "Is it safe to assume he is not concerned about the CT results since I not heard back for a appointment. IF nothing by Mon. I will contact my old cardiologist who got me a vascular surgeon for my fem fem bypass 6 yrs ago.
Now I am perplexed. Since last post I have had 2 more ortho. x rays & they too mention the same findings. I wrote my cardiologist 2 days ago of my concern & just got a call from him. He said I had fem fem bypass 6 yrs. ago. In May '18 my scan showed some blockage & I had a angio w stent in June '18 and he does not think there is a need for concern cause w my Hx my test will 'always' show some calcification. I was SHOCKED! I told him this was the 1st time since May it has showed up on a test and never before now has any other test showed these finding. I also mentioned my left groin pain.  Mind you, my complaint of  R. groin pain is how 'he' found my blockage in May! I totally forgot to tell him I had gone back up to 200 mg. Toprol XL B.I.D (2 x day) because my heart rate & BP was elevated.

I see my Ortho. surgeon tomorrow and beside my spine, hip & groin pain I will address these atherosclerotic vascular calcification of abdominal aorta and iliac vessels findings on the 2 x rays he ordered in Nov. and the Oct. x ray from the ER.