Heart Disease Community

Sudden Cholesterol Increase

As I have a terrible family history when it comes to heart disease, I have my cholesterol checked twice a year. It is always fine, fluctuating between 145-175, but over the last 3 yrs has been around 170 consistently.  I had a test yesterday and it was 250. That stunned me. Even when I was 120 lbs heavier than I am now and eating **** all the time, I never had a reading over 175.  The crazy thing is that in the last six months I have endeavored to do even more good things for my body so I was anticipating a drop in my readings.  Started eating Cheerios or oatmeal instead of bacon and eggs for breakfast.  Started taking fish oil caps and using exclusively olive oil and flax oil in place of animal fats.  I eat no pork, hardly any beef, and small amounts of poultry at one meal per day. I also saw that my triglycerides, which are normally high normal (around 150) were all the way down to 80.  Normally I would be very pleased about that, but given the other changes it makes me wonder what is up.  Also, my good cholesterol is way low, and my bad is way high out of balance.  My good cholesterol has always been in the 60 range is down to 29.  I'm trying not to freak, but dramatic changes like these can't be good.  Any thoughts on what could cause it?
A very good nurse once told me:  "what you eat the night before your test can give false readings".    (not a definite, but a definite possibility)  If this is the first high in a while of norms, I would certainly get tested again and pursue treatment as indicated after the new comparitive results were in.  Prayers go with you!!
I think you should have have your cholesterol tested again.  If it is still high, then I would be more concern.  By the way, what did the doctor about the high results?  
I totally agree with the point to test your cholesterol levels time to time. It will be helpful to diagnose the real cause.
Thanks.
I just saw a PA yesterday.  She was totally not concerned with my questions.  I said whoa what's up with that, and she said well you are overweight, etc. and so on. Well, yes, that is true, but I'm less overweight than I was on last check, and I am eating even healthier now than I have been.  She rolled her eyes at me basically.  I tried to point out the inconsistency and then she says well I must've not been watching my diet as closely as I thought.  I pointed out my triglycerides were way down and she was saying well that's good and I should keep working on it.  So in a nutshell, she said I'm overweight and have a bad diet so my cholesterol is up, but wait, I've been losing weight and watching my diet so my triglycerides are down.  Didn't seem to bother her that she directly counterdicted herself.  I am going to get a re-check as soon as I can, but they won't do it at my Dr. office because they won't accept it could be an erroneous reading.
Counterdicted?  Oh well, see it has messed with my nerves so bad now I am making up words.  
Unfortunately doctors LOVE to blame the high cholesterol only on "you must be doing something wrong, you must be eating the wrong food".  I eat very healthy because I have a tendency to gain weight real fast, I exercise every day.  My cholesterol never went over 200.  I was put on BP meds, my cholesterol shut over 300 in only two months.  NO diet changes, NO life style changes.  Of course the docs wont take your word for it.  I looked up every meds I'm taking on the Internet, and bingo the Lasix (water pill) can raise cholesterol and blood sugar in some people, I'm one of the "some" people.  My sugar never went over 90 fasting, now its between 110-115 fasting.  

Yes, wrong diet can cause cholesterol to rise, but so can stress, certain medications, and a bunch of other causes.

Unfortunately I could not get my cholesterol down, I tried for one year the natural way, and also over the counter cholesterol lowering, nothing helped.  I could not get it down past 280.  So now I am on Zocor which of course lowered it in only one month to 180.

You say your LDL (bad cholesterol) is to high/bad.  What are your numbers?  The LDL should not go over 130, if you have heart disease it should be under 100.  Mine was 231, and I was called "a walking time bomb".  Of course docs deny that the water pill caused my cholesterol to raise.  I know better.  So now I'm on Zocor to counteract the side effect of the Lasix which caused my cholesterol to shoot to dangerous levels.