chest vibration

Last night I had a vibration thing happen in my chest off and on for about 2 hours.  I am almost positive that my pulse was normal just fast (100-110).  It was scary but I didn't panic and my breathing stayed normal.  I have had a panic attack before (full on heart attack thinking kind) and this wasn't like that.  I was just wondering if the heart can be spasming and yet not be arrythmic.  Does that make sense?  Is an anxiety attack and a panic attack the same thing?  (I did post on the anxiety forum too, I just feel like it is a heart related issue so I thought I'd try it here too!!)

I have mentioned that I am heading to Mayo and I would like to go up there with only the relevant chest related issues and although I FEEL like last night was one, I really honestly don't know anymore.

Thanks you all and I hope you have a great weekend.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have been experiencing many of the same symptoms as listed above for the last two weeks. I am a 44 year old male with no previous history of heart issues except for an occasional flutter that would not last more than a minute. But for the last two weeks I have been having a jittery feeling, fluttering chest sensation (almost always while at rest or lying down) with a normal 56-64 heart rate (radial pulse), occasional dizziness that sometimes becomes almost a euphoric sensation briefly. Like many of you it often wakes me up in the middle of the night (like right now) and I have to get up to relieve the episode. Sometimes it feels as if there is fluid in my lungs as I experience a gurgling/crackling feeling while I breath. An additional symptom I have often following the flutter is frequent burping for 10 to 20 minutes after getting up. I am also much more tired than normal day-to-day but this may be due to interrupted sleep. I am normally a healthy, active fit person (marathon runner and swimmer) so this whole thing is baffling to me. I saw my physician yesterday and he is convinced it is stress related since my ekg shows nothing but I find this hard to believe. I did have a stressful family event but that was over a month ago and I do not feel I am still stressed about it but maybe this was the trigger. I thought it was a-fib but my physician said my radial pulse would match what I was feeling in my chest which it doesn't. I just wish I knew what this is. I want my sleep and my life back so I hope this will go away on its own without the need for medication.
Helpful - 0
I had the vibrating chest for a few months last year and it's back again this year.  It started again two months ago. It usually occurs when I want to go to sleep.  Yesterday, it felt like I was stepping on a buzzing cell phone and I had vibrations in my heel.  It is crazy and my doctor makes me feel like I've gone crazy.  She said that it's probably stress related.  I have acid reflux and have had several tests throughout the years, but they all come back fine.  I'm beginning to think that this is something that we just have to learn to live with until someday, some researcher will study this condition and find a cause and a cure.  Until then, we're not crazy!
Helpful - 0
The fact that Dillywilly said he took Lithium is what caught my eye. I use to. But anyways.. I dont know what is wrong with me.. My symptoms are similar but different. Its not really in my chest that im feeling this.. Its pretty much my whole body. Right when I'm slipping into a deep sleep I wake up shaking with my pulse hitting really hard and im kinda shaky. My pulse doesnt speed up, I dont think, it just hits hard. My hands shake and the only way to get it to stop is to get up and walk around. This usually happens about 3-4 times per night before i finally actually fall asleep. Even though im asleep i still wonder if its going on. I'm  while i'm sleeping. I'm also an Army Infantry Veteran so i wonder if its an adrenaline problem. I also drink pretty heavily and I know drinking dehydrates you. It could really be almost anything I suppose..
It feels kinda like anxiety or night terror but i think i start feeling like its anxiety after i realize what is happening.
I have no idea whats going on with me..
I'll probably see a doctor soon.. I read symptoms similar but no one ever posts a good answer.. only good questions..
if you think you have a good idea you can email me at ***@****
well.. im about to go try and get some sleep.. again.
Helpful - 0
I have entered the hell known as perimenopause with the scary occurances of heart palpitations. This has lead to a lot of anxiety, something I have not experienced before. This fear over heart palps has driven me to near insanity!! I learned from a site called "power surge" that this vibrating feeling can be menopausal. It is also a symptom of anxiety brought on by an overactive sympathetic nervous system. I too have had all the tests and my cardiologist has told me not to worry and that is hormone related for me. I haven't got to the not worrying part yet!! I had a relief in symptoms from acupuncture. I wish you all peace of mind and body!!
Helpful - 0
I've had a buzzing near my heart and I thought I had put my phone in my shirt pocket. This happened a few times a couple of days ago. It only seems to happen after I run down stairs. I didn't even think about it again until I told my brother about it today and he said it happened to him too about a year ago. And thanks to this forum and google I find that this may be a common thing. I'm going to the Dr. to see what's going on. I just don't know if this is an emergency or not. Can I wait two days till Monday to see a Dr. or should I walk into a Saturday night emergency room in Brooklyn where there are maybe people in greater need to see a Dr.
Helpful - 0
I have the same sensation.  It feels like a hamster running in my chest or a cell phone vibrating in my chest/stomach area.  I was doing some research and found that Esophageal spasms can cause these symptoms as well.  It is related to acid reflux which may explain why they are more common when people are resting or lying down.  I get these about every 6 month or so.  Mostly if I am not eating very healthy for a short period of time, like when I am travelling or if I am under more stress.  Sometimes they are painful and will give me bad headaches and chest pain that lasts for a few minutes.  Taking antacids usually helps the pain go away faster.  Also sometimes it feels like a really hard heartbeat and I have to cough to get rid of it.  I thought at first that I was having heart problems, even though I am 28,  healthy as far as I know and have no family history of heart disease/heart attacks.  Anyway, I was having the chest pain and tightness and spasms and went to the ER. Had EKG and blood tests done and found my heart was okay.  BP was a little high 140/85 but been under 128/65 for the last 6 months with diet and exercise.  These symptoms were really worrying me, giving me anxiety that I would have a heart attack etc.  Hopefully, this is what everyone else if having in lieu of heart problems.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Community