chest vibration

Last night I had a vibration thing happen in my chest off and on for about 2 hours.  I am almost positive that my pulse was normal just fast (100-110).  It was scary but I didn't panic and my breathing stayed normal.  I have had a panic attack before (full on heart attack thinking kind) and this wasn't like that.  I was just wondering if the heart can be spasming and yet not be arrythmic.  Does that make sense?  Is an anxiety attack and a panic attack the same thing?  (I did post on the anxiety forum too, I just feel like it is a heart related issue so I thought I'd try it here too!!)

I have mentioned that I am heading to Mayo and I would like to go up there with only the relevant chest related issues and although I FEEL like last night was one, I really honestly don't know anymore.

Thanks you all and I hope you have a great weekend.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm a 57 year old male with a history of hypertension on low dose atenolol (a beta blocker) and slightly elevated cholesterol. I have the same thing now, but it started differently.

I would wake from a sound sleep shivering and sometimes uncontrollably shaking with a shortness of breath (like I was freezing). It would take a minute or so before the shaking would subside and the breathing would return to normal as I began to feel normal and warmer.

I noticed that these episodes only happened when it was a bit cool or cold in the bedroom (I like a cooler room for sleeping) AND an arm was out of the cover. That arm would be cold to the touch. It never happened with both arms under the covers. I usually sleep on my side. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

It happened on and off (maybe once a month or less) for a few years during the colder months. Lately, I've been having an occasional vibration (almost like a purring or a cell phone on vibrate) radiating from under my lower sternum at the xiphoid process in the center of the chest. The vibration mimics the shiver frequency (about 200-300 beats per minute) that I was experiencing except there is no chill, shiver or change in breathing. I can breathe deeply with no unusual sensation. Originally, it only happened (or was noticed) when I was in bed, but now seems that I can sense it at other times. It can feel like a mild shiver one might experiences during times of high anxiety. In bed, it can be a significant vibration and I can make it diminish by slowly exhaling and calming myself. It will sometimes stop completely if I can forget about the phenomenon. As soon as I notice that it stopped, it comes back. An MD checked with an EKG while it was happening and said the heart is fine. He couldn't feel or hear the vibration although sometimes it is quite faint. I believe it is a muscle spasm in the diaphragm for some unknown reason. I now think the shivering episodes and the vibrations are related. I believe if I can fix the chest vibration problem, the shivering episodes will also end.

Thank you all for your contributions to this forum. It is a great help.
Helpful - 0
I have been reading everyones comments and found a few statements as to drinking more water and taking deep breaths of air. I have the same symptoms as everyone and wanted to see if this makes a difference, so far to date it has. I still have the problem, but I can get it under control quickly following the above advice. Anxiety or at rest seems to fuel it, it was interesting to hear that so many others have this issue. I also noticed that I am having more joint pain, anyone else seeing this?
Helpful - 0
My body is vibrating as I type. Thank you to all who have contributed to this forum, it is somewhat comforting to be in numbers for a change! My vibrating is the same as discribed above, left side of chest mostly and different parts of my body. From the last post I too have had joint pain (like arthritis) come and go. Maybe it could be viral!? I am a 42 year old female and this has been happening for a few months now and everynight (and day) for the past 4 weeks or so. As for the post on Dec 14 I too felt really cold (freezing) when I went to bed, but this only lasted a few days. I will try to drink more water and maybe start meditation for relaxation. There was also a comment made earlier about heat in the feet - I had a hot spot on one of my lower legs for a few days too.  I have been to too different doctors and had a chest xray and halter monitor (for the heart) and all is normal - a relief but still puzzled. My Dr.s have not heard of this before.  It is obvious that it is muscle related (nervous system perhaps). Am still on my quest to get an answer. I am living in Western Australia.
Helpful - 0
["I have been experiencing many of the same symptoms as listed above for the last two weeks. I am a 44 year old male with no previous history of heart issues except for an occasional flutter that would not last more than a minute. ***But for the last two weeks I have been having a jittery feeling, fluttering chest sensation (almost always while at rest or lying down) with a normal 56-64 heart rate (radial pulse), occasional dizziness that sometimes becomes almost a euphoric sensation briefly.*** Like many of you it often wakes me up in the middle of the night (like right now) and I have to get up to relieve the episode. ***Sometimes it feels as if there is fluid in my lungs as I experience a gurgling/crackling feeling while I breath.*** An additional symptom I have often following the flutter is frequent burping for 10 to 20 minutes after getting up. I am also much more tired than normal day-to-day but this may be due to interrupted sleep. I am normally a healthy, active fit person (marathon runner and swimmer) so this whole thing is baffling to me. I saw my physician yesterday and he is convinced it is stress related since my ekg shows nothing but I find this hard to believe. I did have a stressful family event but that was over a month ago and I do not feel I am still stressed about it but maybe this was the trigger. I thought it was a-fib but my physician said my radial pulse would match what I was feeling in my chest which it doesn't. I just wish I knew what this is. I want my sleep and my life back so I hope this will go away on its own without the need for medication."]

THESE ARE EXACTLY MY SYMPTOMS.  I GET THE SAME JITTERY, ELECTRIC FEELING IN BOTH SIDES OF MY CHEST, I GET DIZZY AND THEN I FEEL REALLY GOOD, THAT EUPHORIC FEELING. AND I GET THE GURGLING IN MY CHEST LIKE FLUID OR SOMETHING, AND I NEED TO CLEAR MY THROAT. ALSO MY SINUSES WILL START TO DE-CONGEST. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD WHO HAD ALL THESE THINGS HAPPENING. YOU SIR HAVE WHAT I HAVE. STAY STRONG, I THINK ITS STRESS BECAUSE I HAVE A VERY HARD LIFE - GOD LOVES YOU, AND WE WILL FIND OUT WHAT THIS IS EVENTUALLY.
Helpful - 0
I've had this vibrating thing for many years now, it only occurs after a sleep, even if I only sleep for an hour. It last about 2 minutes then disappears. I have no discomfort with it, it feels like I've swallowed a mobile phone which is set on vibrate and someone is trying to ring me. Apart from the vibration in the chest, there are no other symptoms at all. I put it down to something happening during sleep, I know my heart rate gets quite low. My breathing is normal too. I've never considered it a problem or a worry, and until reading this thread, never even thought about it for years. I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with the handing over of control of the heart to another area of the brain. I read an article a while back which was about how the brain evolved. Apparently, the central core (primative brain) handles all our functions such as heart rate and breathing while we sleep. There are a few disorders where the handing over of the functions get a bit muddled, such as missing a breath and causing panic. When we wake, the functions are returned to the newer evolved areas of the brain again. Perhaps there's a moment where they are both trying to control things for a minute or so? Some people mention a crackling when they breathe, or a gurgling, but it is known in some people that the airways do collapse more than in others during sleep. This can be dangerous to some individuals, it depends how much they relax. It might be worth a couple of squirts of a asthma inhaler before going to sleep, this opens the airways for quite a while. I can't think of any reasons for the vibration in those who experience it while awake though. Perhaps it is a muscle spasm touching a nerve. I used to describe the sensation to my friends as shivering from the cold inside, but the outside of the body is still. They of course all thought I was nuts lol.
Helpful - 0
Hi all, this is Fluffy33 back again from Dec 21 post. Just giving you all an update on my vibrations. In the last few days my vibrations have pretty much stopped in the chest whilst resting/sleeping and now I experience a buzzing sensation in same location and other parts of body (a bit like too much coffee). Since experiencing the vibrations and being really quite concerned and loosing sleep I have stopped drinking acohol, coffee and less sugar. I have also just recently had a MRI on the brain - you guest it - normal! still bizarre! One part of me thinks it could be stress or anxiety, shock even - as I have had an event or two recently. Another part of me thinks Virus as my limph nodes where enlarged. Try this next time you wake up from the vibrations. Lie there without any thought, just drift and vibrations are there, now engage your brain, perhaps do a hard sum in your mind and the vibrations....do they go away?? relax and they come back again! Weird! This buzzing feeling though is there day and night.
To ed34 could you tell me where you got this info about the primitve brain handing over functions etc?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Community