Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.2k Members

life after stents

Hey there people,i had a major heart attack a week a go and luckily ended up in hospital the outcome was i needed a stent to open a blocked atery,i recovered  very well and now am taking meds for life.i will be getting another stent in a couple of weeks as i have another atery nearly blocked.So what i would like to know is,why am i getting crazy heart pulpitations that come and go a pressure on the side of my head above my ear -doc says its just the meds and ill get used to it,so what is life like in the first year after stents any tips or experiences to share would be greatly appreciated.
1 Responses
11548417 tn?1506080564
Hi Rixsta,
good to read a posting from you so soon after that major heart attack you had.
The first year after getting a stent does not need to be so different from a year without a stent. You will getting anti coagulation medication (probably for a year) to prevent thrombosis in the stent.
Further, you will be getting medication for life to prevent development of new blockages. (statines, blood pressure control etc)
In my experience, these medications do not change life very much.

What could change your life more however is the effect of the attack itself. How much damage is done to your heart and what are the consequences of it in the nearby and farther away future.
A week is too soon to know that.
You will get an echo doppler (after 6 weeks ?) to check the function of your heart.
You will probably go into a revalidation process after a few weeks, to slowly build up your physical condition and to find out where your limits are.

If you are lucky and the damage is limited, you can be almost back to normal in about 3 months (?).

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Ger

Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538180937
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506080564
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.