Heart Health Community
356 Members

Palpitations

I have had palpitations and SVT for years and then learned I had a bicuspid aortic valve and recently told I also have MVP.

I am planning a long trip and I'm stressed about flying alone and for so long. I wonder if that is what is contributing to my recent bout of palpitations. I have been getting them all day long and sometimes waking me up at night. It feels like a couple of fast beats, a pause then thump. This has been going on for about 3 weeks.

I don't know if it's stress or my BAV or MVP getting worse OR something else. Every check I went to in the last year (including an echocardiogram) they said I was fine and regurgitation is still only stage 1.

I also want to add that EVERYTHING causes palpitations, doing nothing, eating a big meal, sometimes when I bend over, walking in the wind, stress, getting angry, heartburn, coffee/tea/hot chocolate (which I gave up years ago) etc etc etc.

Anybody have any ideas or has anyone gone through this too?  I am so depressed and anxious about this. I don't know what to do : (

COMMUNITY LEADER
Seems that anxiety is driving you heart issue.  I'd suggest you try to identify the cause, fear of flying (airplanes) or many things?  If you have general anxiety it may be best to discuss at least with your Primary Care doctor.  You may respond to some medications that lower such issues as anxiety.  I do not take any such medications so I can not say I know they are affective.   Late response here, hope you are doing better already.
Turns out it was Nexium causing the palpitations and high blood pressure.  I stopped taking it and my palpitations have reduced considerably and my blood pressure is now low. Nexium = poison!
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.