Heart Health Community
361 Members

Severe pain while exercising?

I am 18 years old and for the past couple years now I have been experiencing severe pain while running. The pain is in the upper left portion of my chest, exactly where my heart is. It feels like there is a muscle that is being constricted when I exercise. The pain slowly builds when I start running, and slowly decreases when I stop or walk. I have tried a couple times to just keep running through the pain, but I have had to stop because the pain became too severe and I was crying because it hurt so much. What can I do to stop this pain that is keeping me from excercising.
It does not sound like it is originating from the heart itself.

If your chest is painful and tender to touch, it may be caused by a strained muscle in your chest wall. This can be surprisingly painful, but with rest the pain should ease and the muscle will heal in time.

If you have pain, swelling and tenderness around your ribs, and the pain is made worse by lying down, breathing deeply, coughing or sneezing, you may have a condition called costochondritis.
This is caused by inflammation in the joints between the cartilage that joins the ribs to the breastbone (sternum). The symptoms often improve after a few weeks and may be relieved by painkillers.

Anyway, it would be a good idea to see your GP, to rule out anything of more serious nature.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.