Heart Rhythm Community

Episodic PVCs and exercise....

I have read many posts regarding episodic PVCs...I have been suffering from PVCs for years, but only experiencing long lasting episodes with higher frequency of PVCs for the last few months...The odd PVC is manageable, but the runs of PVCs every few beats for hours at a time are very hard to cope with. These episodes seem to hit me out of the blue...sitting, standing, sleeping...morning, noon or night!! The sensation is alarming, and I can feel them through my whole upper body, especially in my chest and throat...Has anyone who suffers from longer lasting episodic PVCs ever tried to exercise during an episode? Does this sound a little crazy?? My PVCs seem to usually occur when my heart rate is lower...I have had occasional incidence after working out, or the odd PVC while running or biking, but they usually happen at rest. I am wondering if getting the heart rate up may jolt the system into "resetting" itself, and break the episode...Any thoughts?? If the PVCs are actually benign, then I can only assume there is NO risk to exercise during an episode??
I don't know about any risk while exercise. But for me when I began exercising my Pvcs almost completely disappeared. So now that I'm pregnant and have stopped working out they are back with a vengeance.So as soon as I pop this little man out I'm starting working out again.
Not sure about the correlation but up until the Christmas holidays, I was walking (that is my exercise) frequently and my PVCs were more sporadic. Then the snow and cold weather came. My PVCs increased to almost daily and many episodes a day. Then between the weather and feeling horrible, I didn't exercise. Just came back from Disney where I walked about 30+ miles during a 5 day period. I had one bad night but other than that I felt pretty good. Unfortunately, I am back in the cold and miserable weather but I am going to make every attempt to get my butt out there walking ASAP.
I've been on a long run of bad days with my PVC's, several months actually. When mine get to a point that I've had enough, I'll go work out and mine will be completely gone. I need to get up to about 120 BPM to get them to stop, but once they're gone I usually get a few hours of relief. I'll get a few more transitional PVC's while I'm warming up, but then I'm good to go.

Jon
Thanks for the replies. I exercise daily, usually 40 minutes of hard cardio...BUT, if I am experiencing a bad episode of PVCs (flip flops, thumps and skips every few beats) I will usually refrain from any hard activity that would elevate the heart rate. Now, after all my recent tests (echo, chest x-ray, blood and stress test last week), I am thinking of trying to get my heart rate up (over 130 if needed) to see if that stops the PVC episode?? In the past I was terrified that this would cause me to have a heart attack or make the problem worse. I am assuming that there is NO problem, as my doctor said NOT to worry, and keep my daily routine! Thanks again for sharing your experiences. It really helps to speak with others who truly understand the hell of dealing with PVCs.

The last thing i want to do is exercise when I am having an episode of palpitations, especially when the PVC's occur about 6-8 times per minute.  
I too have had months of increased pvc's.  They come every few beats for hours.   The only relief I get is when I go for my run.  They usually are completely gone after I am done.  It is scary as crap to make myself go run especially if they have been acting up all day.  But I do it and I'm always glad that I did.  (fingers crossed here).
If your doctor told you that you can work out then go for it.  Mine even told me to go scuba diving if I want  (ha, fat chance.  I'm not that brave)  
Jodie
Thanks for your reply. I run or bike daily, so I may very well give running a shot next time I have an episode. I sympathize that it must take a significant amount of mental toughness to convince yourself to run while your heart is flip flopping...BUT, getting the pulse up, and having a good workout sounds like it may wipe out the problem...if so, it is a win-win proposition...work out, and eliminate a bad episode of PVCs!...the only problem is - what happens when it hits you in the middle of the night?!?  
Ha!  I have gotten up in the middle of the night and did sit ups and it actually worked!
Fortunatelly it doesn't seem to happen to me much at night.  Maybe because I run around 5:30 and don't have problems after that.  Mine seem to kick in around early morning and then go for a few hours with maybe a 30 minute break, then again for a few hours.
The PVC's are bad enough during the day.  I can't imagine being awakened by them.  I just can not figure out what makes them episodic.  I get them from about 11 am to early evening.  Some days none at all  and on other days, oh well you've been there.  Even though all my tests come back completely normal I really don't feel like exercising during an episode.  Usually I do a lot of walking, but so far this winter the snow and ice have curtailed that activity.  
That's too funny, I have been known to hit the exercise bike at 2:00 AM before so I could make them stop and get some sleep. I was having a bad morning so I headed out to the fitness center and did a few hard miles on the treadmill. I have a few extra PVC's as I transitioned my heart rate but then they were gone, so nice.

I sometimes wonder afterwards if they are really gone or for some reason I can't feel them as much as before I exercise. I check my pulse afterwards so I can feel  one sometimes, but hate to start looking for them. I sometimes think I just don't tend to feel them as much after I work out but they are still there.
My PVC's are hardly ever present during exercise... however every once in a while I'll get hit by one or two while running. The scary thing is they are very pronounced, like I'm kicked by a mule (along with a sort of electrical charge shooting down my chest). This has happened a number of times and really worried me because of the intensity of the sensation. I usually try to walk it off but often feel lousy for hours later. One of the many weird things that sometimes happens.
I've been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation. The funny thich i didhing is i don't get an elevated heart beat , just flutter in the chest. I've had, ECG'S, Echoes. X rays, bloods. 24 hour tape and traed mill test. I'm 40, prior to this i use to workout 6 times a week, 3 times a week a 4.4k run in 20 mins the 5 three mins round on the bag. The other days weights. I was told to stay clear of the gym, which i did for a you.month. Now i've returned back for about 4 weeks, plenty of weights, no runnig=ng or boxing. I've been tyold strenoud activity would result in me fainting. Can anybody clarify this for me please as i'm confused after reading the above, thank