Heart Rhythm Community

Waking up with body vibrations

I am wondering if anyone has ever felt the following:  Almost every night I fall asleep normally only to suddenly wake up 20-30 minutes later with these feeling of vibration throughout my whole body.  MY heart seems slightly irregular and has the feeling like it wants to start racing.  Sometimes it does, most times it just beats strongly.  The vibrating feeling throughout my body is disconcerting.  I put my hand out to see if I'm actually shaking.  I am slightly but nothing in comparison to what I feel internally.  It last up to 5 minutes, then eventually I fall asleep, only to wake again after 20-30 minutes.  This can happen up to 5-7 times a night.  Eventually I fall asleep and fall into the regular REM sleep.
Any thoughts?  Thank you all.  
PS.  I do not drink alcohol, smoke nor take caffeine.
inappropriate release of catecholamines might be to blame.  This isn't uncommon.  It could explain both the heart and other muscle activation.

Another explainantion could be a sleep disturnace called Myoclonus.  This is a normal sleep process but can sometimes not work right, but will change back to normal.

Thanks for the info.  I will further look into these possibilities.  I actually have an apt. with a sleep doc in 2 weeks.  Curious to see if he wants to do a sleep study.  Do you have these issues yourself and are you aware of any remedies?  Thanks for the time.
I get both, have found no remedies.  I just live with it, comes and goes.  These issues are transient in nature for me, just part of being human I guess.
That's really strange.  I have felt that vibration feeling mainly in my chest and shoulders.  I don't have it often, but I do sense it from time to time and mine is not constant.  It's like it starts and then stops for half a second and then starts again.  Weird!  I told my Dr about it and he just dismissed it, didn't have a clue what it could be.  I've wondered if it could be the Vagus nerve acting up.  Maybe. Mine usually only lasts for several minutes.  And it doesn't accompany an irregulat heartbeat.
It must be driven by adrenaline/cortisol.  I've had these since I was a teenager (feeling them right after I fall asleep), however whenever I am an SSRI's (anti-anxiety) for longer periods of time, they disappear.  I think those of us who have heart arrhythmias taught ourselves to be super vigilant and pay attention to every little thing that happens with our bodies, although the vibrations I feel are intense and disrupt my sleep often.  
I so want to just say "to hell with all of it" and stop thinking about every little bodily manifestation.
Unfortunately, the arrhythmias have been my biggest challenge and they have completely altered me.  I was a person who welcomed life with enthusiasm and excitement, and these things have turned me into a cautious, petrified little mouse.  That's the worst part of it all! I admire those that can push them aside and live their lives with joy.  I have a hard time convincing myself otherwise.  I'll say it now, "to hell with it".  This site has been very helpful to me, on the other hand you get addicted to the stories, and I wonder how beneficial it is to keep oneself always submerged in this topic.  It never leaves one's brain.  
I have just been rescently experiencing these unusual Vibrations in my chest and throughout my body.   It seems to bother me when i go to lay down at night right before bed and when i wake up in the morning.  Or the feeling of the vibration will wake me up all hours of the morning.   I keep putting it off going to the Doctors, my doctor is going to think im crazy, because they probably wont find anything wrong, but i know there is something thats not right..     Please help me find a solution.
Hi there, just reading your post and it sounds exactly like what I have. Any chance you've been able to find a solution since you posted in 2010?
google hypnagogic/hypnopompic state.....