Heart Rhythm Community

pacemaker pain

I'm just curious as to how long this pain (rate it on a scale of 6, while moving and 2 when not moving), is going to last? I'm 36 and my doctor told me that I would have more pain than an older patient due to my muscles being more formed and also the fact I have very little muscle and no fat with limited amount of skin around the site. It's been 5 days and I'm still having a hard time even sitting up without pain, and finding a comfortable spot to lay is very challenging. My cardiologist said it would be roughly 4 to 6 weeks for me, I find that hard to believe that when I've known people that have resumed normal activity after a couple days and he doesn't even want me to move my left arm for at least 6 weeks. I did have the new model put in also has 2 wires and I do have Lupus and UC which slows my healing process and causes other complications, so I'm not sure if that is why it will take much longer than everything I've read? If anyone has any thoughts or ideas to help speed the process along would greatly appreciate it. TIA
Yes it can take a month or so before being without pain, in your case perhaps even longer. Pains can be relieved with over-the-counter medicines, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) or ibuprofen (Motrin IB, Advil, others), but talk to your doctor before taking any pain relievers.
Contact your doctor if the pain increases because that could be an indication of an infection.
Good luck with your recovery.