Heart Rhythm Community

stabbing pain after loop recorder

I had a cardiac monitor implanted in April, 2020, and I have been having problems with stabbing pain about 5 a.m. that wakes me up.  Went to the EP and he told me it was arthritis and to take a tylnol.  Does anyone have similar problems?  I'm going for a second opinion the end of May.  
COMMUNITY LEADER
Is the stabbing pain at the site of the loop implant? If you push in the device under your skin and sort of wiggle it around does it have a big impact on the pain?

Loops are just subcutaneous and not attached to anything like a pacemaker nor are they sutured in place. It’s just hanging out under your skin; so it should be safe to manipulate a bit.

If it’s the device it could just be poorly positioned and you should probably get it explanted and/or repositioned.

You don’t want a pressure injury or anything... not worth it.
The pain is at the site of the recorder!  The pain does not feel like arthritis to me.  Thank you for your comment:)
No problem! If it’s uncomfortable at the site of the recorder, started after you got the recorder, and hurts when you manipulate the recorder under the skin then yes, it’s probably the recorder.

I agree that arthritis sounds a bit fishy.

You should know the difference between joint pain and a metal object the size of a USB stick pushing on your skin. If you insisted that it’s the recorder I’d be somewhat inclined to believe you and offer you a re-implant in a different location.
Thank you ...sometimes you need to get an opinion from someone else:)