No. Is that your AFP score?
I have my AFP every six months to check for possible signs of liver cancer along with the ultrasound.
AFP only gives possible indications and some have suggest it is not that useful as a liver tumor marker. You could have a normal AFP and have liver cancer moderately often. And elevated levels may or may not indicate liver cancer. That needs to corroborate by other test results
“ High levels of AFP can be a sign of liver cancer or cancer of the ovaries or testicles, as well as noncancerous liver diseases such as cirrhosis and hepatitis. High AFP levels don't always mean cancer, and normal levels don't always rule out cancer.”
What they are looking for is trend information
If your AFP had consistently bern normal or near normal and suddenly changed to very elevated that would be a concerning development but would still need to be confirmed by other testing like CT scan
“ What is an AFP (alpha-fetoprotein) tumor marker test?
AFP stands for alpha-fetoprotein. It is a protein made in the liver of a developing baby. AFP levels are usually high when a baby is born, but fall to very low levels by the age of 1. Healthy adults should have very low levels of AFP.
An AFP tumor marker test is a blood test that measures the levels of AFP in adults. Tumor markers are substances made by cancer cells or by normal cells in response to cancer in the body. High levels of AFP can be a sign of liver cancer or cancer of the ovaries or testicles, as well as noncancerous liver diseases such as cirrhosis and hepatitis.
High AFP levels don't always mean cancer, and normal levels don't always rule out cancer. So an AFP tumor marker test is not usually used by itself to screen for or diagnose cancer. But it can help diagnose cancer when used with other tests. The test may also be used to help monitor the effectiveness of cancer treatment and to see if cancer has returned after you've finished treatment.
Other names: total AFP, alpha-fetoprotein-L3 Percent”
“ In nonpregnant adults, high blood levels (over 500 nanograms/milliliter [or ng/ml]) of AFP are seen in only a few situations, such as
hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), a primary cancer of the liver;
germ cell tumors (a type of cancer of the testes and ovaries, such as embryonal carcinoma and yolk sac tumors); and
ataxia telangiectasia, a severely disabling and rare genetic neurodegenerative disease.
Several assays (tests) for measuring AFP in the blood (serum) are available to laboratories. Generally, normal levels of AFP are below 10 ng/ml. People with various types of acute and chronic liver diseases without documentable liver cancer can have mild or even moderate elevations of AFP, though usually less than 500 ng/ml
Primary liver cancer, or hepatocellular carcinoma or hepatoma, is more common in some forms of chronic liver disease. As a screening test in patients with chronic hepatitis B and C, or hemochromatosis, AFP has a sensitivity for liver cancer of about 70%. In other words, an elevated AFP blood test is seen in about 70% people with primary liver cancer. That leaves about 30% of patients in these high-risk groups who can have liver cancer but have normal AFP levels. Consequently, the test is not diagnostic but is an indicator of a potential situation. Therefore, a normal AFP does not exclude liver cancer. For example, AFP levels are normal in a patient with fibrolamellar carcinoma, a variant of hepatocellular carcinoma.
As noted above, an abnormal AFP does not mean that an individual has liver cancer. It is important to note, however, that people with cirrhosis (scarring) of the liver and an abnormal AFP, despite having no evidence of liver cancer, still are at very high risk of developing liver cancer. Thus, anyone with cirrhosis and an elevated AFP, particularly with steadily rising blood levels, will either most likely develop liver cancer or actually already have an undiscovered liver cancer.
An AFP greater than 500 ng/ml is very suggestive of liver cancer. In fact, the blood level of AFP loosely relates to (correlates with) the size of the liver cancer.“
I’m sure you are concerned I am too for you and my own situation but neither of us will know what is really going on until we have further testing like CT scan done.
But remember even HCC isn’t a death sentence. They can possibly remove the cancerous parts of the liver or there are treatments that can shrink the size of tumors. Also depending on your overall health a liver transplant may also be an option.
Hang in there
Never give up