Hepatitis C Community

Chronic Hep B - Liver Cyst detected

Please help understand the MRI result below. Last Ultrasound (6/2020) and CT (4/2019) were normal and didn't have any liver cyst. I've known of the kidney cyst for several years.
My AFP tumor Marker test has always been less than 6.1 (normal upper limit) with the last one on 9/17/2020 5.7 . Another doctor recommended the triple biomarker - DCP/AFP & AFP L3 and the result came back on 1/13/2021 with Total AFP of 7.1 (normal range 1.6 - 4.5 ng/ml). DCP < 1.0 and AFP L3 not detected. Should this be a concern?

My AST/ALT 20/22 on 12/31/2020 - always in the normal range since 2012.

12/31/2020
GLUCOSE 83
CREATININE 1
eGFR NON-AFR. AMERICAN 90
eGFR AFRICAN AMERICAN 105
SODIUM 142
POTASSIUM 4.6
CHLORIDE 105
CARBON DIOXIDE 28
CALCIUM 9.7
PROTEIN, TOTAL 7.3
ALBUMIN 4.5
GLOBULIN 2.8
ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN RATIO 1.6
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.9
BILIRUBIN, DIRECT
BILIRUBIN, INDIRECT
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 49
AST 20
ALT 22
12/31/2020
INR - 1
PT - 10.9
Vit D- 58

EXAM:
MRI ABDOMEN W/WO CONTRAST

CLINICAL HISTORY:
Chronic viral hepatitis B without delta-agent

COMPARISON:
MRI Enterography dated 4/15/2016

TECHNIQUE:
Multiplanar, multisequence images obtained of the abdomen with and without IV
contrast. Pelvis not ordered or scanned.

FINDINGS:
Motion degraded study.

Thorax: Visualized thorax clear of significant pathology.
Liver: 8 mm T2 hyperintense, T1 hypointense, nonenhancing cyst and segment 7. No
enhancing mass. No biliary dilation..
Gallbladder: No stones or inflammation. Nondistended. This a linear T2 hypointense
structure extending along the anterior wall of the gallbladder from the neck to the
fundus, greatest in thickness at the fundus where it measures approximately 6-7 mm.
This is hyperintense on the Eovist sequences such as series 9, most conspicuous on
image 50.
Spleen: Unremarkable.
Pancreas: Unremarkable.
Adrenal Glands: Unremarkable.
Kidneys: No acute pathology. 1.9 cm simple cyst upper pole left kidney, enlarged from
prior..
Stomach: Unremarkable.
Bowel: No obstruction, inflammation, or mass.
Vasculature: No significant pathology.
Lymph Nodes: No pathologically enlarged or abnormal nodes.
Abdominal Wall: Normal.
Bones: No significant pathology.

Additional Significant Findings: None

IMPRESSION:
1. NO ACUTE ABDOMINAL PATHOLOGY. NO ENHANCING LIVER MASS.
2. BENIGN CYSTS IN THE RIGHT HEPATIC LOBE AND UPPER POLE OF THE LEFT
KIDNEY.
3. INDETERMINATE T2 HYPOINTENSE LINEAR STRUCTURE ALONG THE
ANTERIOR WALL OF THE GALLBLADDER FROM THE NECK TO THE FUNDUS,
GREATEST IN THICKNESS AT THE FUNDUS WHERE IT MEASURES 7 MM. THIS
COULD REPRESENT ARTIFACT FROM BILIARY EXCRETION OF EOVIST, OR
POSSIBLY SOME SORT OF VASCULAR STRUCTURE. LIKELY BENIGN OR
ARTIFACTUAL, BUT A FOLLOW-UP WITH A GALLBLADDER ULTRASOUND IS
RECOMMENDED WITH SPECIFIC ATTENTION TO THE ANTERIOR WALL OF THE
FUNDUS.
There are no medical professionals here all I can do is google your results. For sound medical information and advice you best bet would be to discuss this with your doctor who ordered this test.

Best of luck
Your blood work looks better than mine my platelet count is around 105 and my AFP has been slightly elevated for a decade
Also you have asked your question in the hep C forum. This forum is mostly for people living with or undergoing treatment for hepatitis c. This is a virtual support group for hep c patients. We cannot offer medical advice.

So again I would strongly suggest you ask your doctor your question
Thank you flyinlynn, i did talk to the doctor and there's no concern at this time. Im doing an Ultrasound of the gallbladder to rule out any issue with the gallbladder which they believe it's just artifact from the MRI EOVIST liquid excretion. If you don't mind me asking , how high is your AFP?  I don't believe i have liver cirrhosis yet per all the test we performed over the past few year  - Last Biopsy  - 2015 Grade 2 Stage 1 an subsequent Fibroscan   were 4.7 and 4.4 (2017). im due for the next scan and hope to have done soon.  I was just concern about the benign liver cyst since it wasn't on the last Ct or Ultrasound . I was told MRI is very sensitive and could pick up sometime that US wouldn't .  Again thank you
Before I was finally cured of hep c my AFP was around 15.4 in the oldest test result I could find. My most recent AFP was 8.7 from this month.

Yes that is correct you do not have cirrhosis. My liver biopsy from January 2008 result was F4 cirrhosis. My Fibroscan before my last treatment for hep C was 29. My most recent Fibroscan from a couple of years ago is still scoring as 30 even though my hep c was cured in 2015.

Why are you having these tests done? Do you have hepatitis c? I’m asking because you are posting in the hepatitis C forum.

I had two liver masses on my January ultrasound which were not on my July ultrasound or any previous. I had a CT scan today. Hoping it’s not HCC and just benign masses of some kind.
I hope these are benign masses and nothing to be concerned about. Best of luck and no worries.
I've chronic hep b diagnosed back in 2012. Not sure for how long I've had it but it seems im the only one in the family who tested positive. I've been on treatment since 2018.
Please keep us posted on the CT result and again best of luck :) prayers...