Hepatitis C Community

Help With Hepatitis C Test Interpretation?

On or about October 5 I had a Hep C test completed as part of a 10 Panel STD check. The results at that time came back as < 0.1 which was negative. This test was done at about 4 weeks post potential exposure. Then, on October 26th, I had another 10 panel test and the value was indicated as 0.1, also negative.

My concern is that I have read that Hep C may not show up on a blood test until 8 - 9 weeks post exposure. I had the second test at the beginning of the 8th week.

Would the results suggest that I am actually positive due to the change in values from < 0.1 to 0.1?
The small change in number is simply test variation. It has no significance.

It can take up to 12 weeks to develop enough hep C antibodies to develop to reach testable levels assuming you have a normal immune system. If you are immune compromised as in the presence of co-infection with HIV or anti rejection immune suppressing medicines it can take as long as 6 months for enough antibodies to rise to detectable levels.

So any testing prior to 12 weeks post a concerning exposure  is simply a waste of time.

Hep c is principally a blood borne infection and relatively difficult to transmit. Most often hep c is transmitted by sharing of IV drug equipment between drug users.

Did you experience a possible blood to blood contact with blood known to be infected with hep c?
I am not entirely certain. I did have unprotected anal sex with pull out method.
Did your partner have hepatitis C?
Their status is unknown.
Could you ask them?

Either that or test at the correct time 12 weeks post. If you should have a concerning exposure in the future only test at 12 weeks post exposure, tests prior to that are without diagnostic value and a waste of time.
He related that in the past he had Hepatitis A. He is going for testing and hopefully that will put much of my concerns at rest... fingers crossed.
Hepatitis A and hepatitis C are unrelated and caused in different manners by different viruses.

Hepatitis A is basically food borne oral fecal transmission. Hepatitis C is blood borne
He tested negative for Hepatitis A, B & C.
Congratulations you cannot contract an infection from a person who does not have an illness