Hernia Community
293 Members

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

Risk of strangulation: In considering when to have a reducible hernia surgically repaired, it is important for a patient to know the risk of strangulation.The risk varies with the location and size of the hernia and the length of time it has been present.In general, hernias with large sac contents with a relatively small opening are more likely to become strangulated.Hernias that have been present for many years may become irreducible.Operative complications: Complication rates vary according to whether the surgery was elective or emergent, the hernia size and location, as well as the techniques used (open surgery or laparoscopic)Most complications occur over the short term and are easily treatable.The hernia that comes back after initial surgical repair can be repaired by the same or an alternate method.Complications of hernia repair includerecurrence (most common),urinary retention,wound infection,fluid build-up in scrotum (called hydrocele formation),scrotal hematoma (bruise), andtesticular damage on the affected side (rare).
I recently had a hernia repaired. It was in the bellybutton area.  The doctor cut around my bellybutton it was quick and not as painful as I thought.  I had more pain before the repair than after surgery.  I'm glad I had it repaired so that I can go back to my usual physical activity.
I had a hernia repaired about six months ago, only to have another develop below the original site. I am very worried that surgery will be required as I had an infection and problems from my last surgery, resulting in a month-long stay in the hospital and vacuum therapy.
I had a large bulge in my groin.  I had open surgery which was said to be successful but within two weeks the post-operative pain increased to the extent that it is painful to walk or sit and even when lying down.
I had a hernia repaired 7 months ago only to have another develop soon after. I recently had this repaired with great success. I have minimal pain and no problems.
I recently had a hernia repair. It was a result of an incision from a kidney operation. It has a mesh implant. I'm a 77 year-old hairdresser and would like to get back to work. Work keeps me mentally healthy. I think I need a 2nd opinion because I don't think the mesh was large enough. My right side bulges still and is still uncomfortable.
My hernia was caused by radiation therapy for cancer.  I had a hole between the rectum and vagina from the pellet radiation. This caused me to have a colostomy which ended in a hernia on my left side below my belly button.  I was constantly having blockages in great pain, when finally I saw a surgeon about repairing the hernia and the intestines.  About 4 hours of surgery, the hernia was repaired.  A few months later it came back and is now even larger.  I cannot eat raw vegetables plus many cooked ones.  They refuse to touch me again as I have had too many surgeries and scar tissue.  I still have the blockages but it is caused by scar tissue tearing when I move wrong.  I am on disability due to the chemo causing nerve damage to my feet plus I cannot bend over as I can cause scar tissue to tear and I am sick all over again.  I can take pain medication and xenox if I can keep it down.  If not a suppository to knock me out is the only answer.  So I think you should really weigh all options.  I know I would never do the radiation pellets as I believe I would have been ok as this was just overkill. Although, I am alive and lots aren't with stage 4 cancer and it is over 5 years.  I just think the treatment can do tons of damage and my whole life has changed. I hope this helps someone.
I had surgery in 2006 for an incarcerated epigastric hernia - I had the mesh done - I now feel my hernia moving around where it shouldn't be. I had a surgeon who made a 4 inch incision running down my upper abdomen. I have a little pain but really don't want to go through surgery again especially with all the problems they are having with the mesh. Not sure what the danger of leaving it alone is.
could i have a hernia in the middle of my stomach arround my bellybutton it is protuded out and is very sore
I had an operation for an epigastric hernia about 10 years ago.  Before I underwent surgery the surgeon told me that such operations are often unsuccessful.  Well, he was correct because 10 years down the line, it is back as bad as it was before.  It is unsightly.
I had an incarcerated umbilical wall hernia repaired on 6/1/11. The surgeon said she could repair it successfully and due to the size that I probably had it for a very long time. I was hospitalized for 3 days and in an extended care facility for 2 additional days. This was because I am disabled and needed a couple of days of recuperation to be able to care for myself. Post surgery the pain was strong when trying to sit up or stand and walk for the first 2 1/2 days and moderate on the third day. After the third day it was tolerable but I was somewhat weak and light headed. After the fourth day I had intermittent pain that was tolerable. No problems with infection of any kind and I am healing nicely. I am a type 2 diabetic so my recovery is much better than was anticipated. I was blessed with a great surgeon.
I have had two hernia repairs and how I have to have another one. I don't understand why I keep getting hernias. I do not lift heavy items and I'm not sure what I can do to stop this from happening.
my belly button is sticken out .  i had an hernia opp when i was 7yrs old.
thank you. belly button.i do not hurt.this my frist trying to use my new comp
iam haveing a herian dun in a few weeks times its in said my belly how do they do it
In Jan 2011 I had an epigastric hernia repair 2 and a half inch vertical incision above my belly button. Several weeks after surgery I had a cold and sneezed very unexpectedly (was advised to hold the area for support when coughing and sneezing). This caused a searing pain which brought tears to my eyes and had to lie down for a few hours. All then seemed go fairly ok until I noticed another bumpy area recently to the left of my scar, where I felt the pain after the sneeze. GP has now referred me back to the surgeon. I'm extremely upset and worried as I feel I cannot go through another operation and have another scar.
I underwent abdominal hernia surgery about three years ago, I was not told what caused this condition but I assume that it was due to a previous exploratory surgery to find out the cause of a severe abdominal infection. I turned out to be a misplaced appendix which threw my symptoms off and created a severe infection throughout my abdomen. I believe this infection eroded or weakened the abdominal wall, creating two large hernias and severe pain. During surgery my entire abdominal lining was examined and found to be greatly compromised. A large netting was placed over nearly the entire abdomen.  After three years I have no pain where the hernias were but I do experience some occasional stomach pain as well as under my diaphragm (where the netting stops) but it is so much better and I can do things again. It's not perfect, but ninety percent relief is much better than not being able to do anything.
When hiking I would develop a groin pain. As I increased distance and elevation of each hike the discomfort would increase. Thinking I just had a pull or something, I just rubbed the discomfort out. At times I had to stop and rest (rub / push in).   The first signs on each hike were a mild discomfort or burning. The burning would increase with exertion, mostly stepping up. Later there was a sharp pain in the groin. I couldn't step up at all and had to make small steps in general. Rubbing it out allowed me to continue. My last hike was of 4,000' elevation gain and 18 miles.  I am 63 and weight 230. I think the main cause was from my 25 lb pack tighten around my waist but my age and weight are factors also.
i had surgery for an abdominal hernia back in 2002 and the placed a piece of mesh behind my navel area. i am now 46 and wanted to start doing exercise like sit ups but noticed i have a bulge between my rib cage and my navel when i do a sit up. is this another hernia or related to the previous one
Sir,i have hernia in testies but its not paining....   Wil i get any prblms in the future?Wat i have to do? Do it effects my potentiality?
I had an incisional ventral hernia as a result of colon surgery.  Now I have another two hernias!  One is at the site of the drains and another at the site of another incision.  I am considering having a plastic surgeon do the corrections.  I am unsure.  Anyone out there have a plastic surgeon close their hernias with mesh???
I feel worst after 4wks after surgurgery its swollen limited walking and sitting.
If a guy have a hernia is he is safe having sex without withdrawn?
i had hernia surgery now i can not urniate my stomach is up set all the time nothing tastes good or smells good.
I have an incisional hernia, but have been told that they will not operate as they see it as minor, and that they say that a repair may not work, I have pain and discomfort all the time, one side of my stomach bulges out, I have been feeling sickly like I am wanting to be sick, I have been told that it will not become stangulated, although they have told me not to put weight on, they have said do not lift heavy objuects, don't stretch, don't do any phsical exercise, so basically my life is on hold till they decide to do something for me, I had a hysterctomy in 2007, I had an infection and an open wound. I don't know what to do now.