Hernia Community
293 Members

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?

Lifestyle changes are often necessary to avoid symptoms of hiatal hernia.Modify your activities:Minimize heavy lifting, straining, bending over.Improve seated posture; don't slouch.Exercise more.Lose weight.Sleep on an incline, with head of bed raised 4-6 inches on blocks.Choose standing activities after a meal rather than sitting or reclining.Modify your diet. Avoid the following:CaffeineChocolateFried or fatty foodsPeppermintAlcoholMeals within 2-3 hours of bedtimeLarge meals (eat smaller meals more frequently)Try over-the-counter remedies. Check with your doctor or pharmacist first if you are taking other medications, are pregnant, or have other medical conditions, before starting therapy at home.Antacids such as Mylanta, Maalox, Gaviscon, or Tums for acute symptomsAntacids such as Zantac, Tagamet, Pepcid, or Axid to prevent symptoms
Hi all...        My gastroentologist has found that i am having hiatal hernia. She has suggested me to stick to the routine diet timings. She says that taking food at proper time (not heavy) will automatically take care of the heart buring sense and the vomitting kind of feelings.        I am now under strict diet avoiding spicy and acidic food stuffs. Am getting better and my appetitie is also good now. She said, the possible reason for this problem could be constipation. So she suggested me to walk a lot instead of sitting at a place and also empty the bowl immediately when i feel like.       So frenz, if u r also having the same kind of problem, please dont panic. It is a very simple problem [ it can be dangerous if not taken proper care ]that can be solved easily by changing ourselves.    Thanks    Jerry
Since I was about 20, I've had a strange feeling in my lower chest, mostly on the left side. For a long time, I thought there was something wrong with my heart, but there was really never any direct evidence, and it began to be more of a pressure and a constant discomfort under my ribs. No doctor could tell me anything other than "you're fine," and so the mystery continued. Only now at age 29 have I finally gotten an endoscopy. I apparently have a "small" hiatal hernia and "mild" gastritis. All I want is to feel a normal feeling in my body and not bloated, gassy, and on the verge of a heart attack all the time. It just seems as of it's something easy enough to fix but my doctor says there are no good surgeons in Las Vegas who can do the operation. My journey starts here, and hopefully this helps somebody else figure it out.
I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I recently gained a few pounds, and that's when it got worse. I had to change my diet. No citrus, chocolate, caffeine, tomato or spicy foods. Some over-the-counter medications have caffeine in them, such as Excedrin. So I cut out some of these products and I felt better. Oh, and I do not eat or drink three hours before going to bed. I use extra pillows when sleeping.
I have been having shortness of breath for some time. Lately I started feeling weak and faint whenever I took a deep breath. Thinking I was having a heart attack I tried to get to a doctor with no luck so my friend took me to her chiropractor.   He diagnosed me with a hiatal hernia. He laid me down and pushed it out with his bare hands.  This was 2 hrs ago. I am home now and breathing normally with no weakness.  Hurt like heck but it sure beats surgery!
My chiropractor diagnosed me with a hiatal hernia months ago. I go in and he fixes it and it comes back. I can't afford to keep going in to have him fix it and it's back right away. I also take Prevacid because I had a bleeding ulcer years ago, but it has not helped my hiatal hernia.  I too want to feel normal again. I hate always having this pressure and pain sitting under my ribs. It helps when my husband works on my stomach we found a way he can get rid of the pain and I am able to sleep through most of the night without waking him to do it again. I am starting to eliminate foods and change to caffeine-free coffee to see if that helps. But I'm frustrated by that because I have Celiac Disease and my food is already limited! :(  I eat breakfast standing because we have a 45 minute drive to work. Our dinner is always late and there is no changing that until we retire or get jobs closer to home. (Not going to happen). If giving up caffeine and alcohol doesn't help, I am going to go in for an endoscopy to see if there is anything else going on or if someone will attempt to do surgery on it. I'm too young at 50 to live with this problem, being a Celiac is problem enough!
This is advice for "Miserable". Contact the USC Medical Center, Thoracic Surgery Dept, Dr. Hagen in Los Angeles. I've had the same symptoms as you for five years and finally found a general surgeon that takes it seriously, ordered barium swallow, endoscopy and chest X-ray.  When hiatal hernia was found, he indicated that he's only seen about eight cases in his career and referred me to USC and Dr. Hagen. Dr. Hagen ordered another endoscopy with a biopsy, a Ph uptake and an esophageal motility test. These tests will determine the treatment plan. Surgery for a hiatal hernia is not common and it's necessary to seek treatment at a regional medical research center such as USC for aggressive treatment. Wish you the best.
I have suffered from endometriosis and gas pockets since I was 13 years old. Between the female surgeries and colonoscopies, the symptoms have moved into my chest cavity. I find that eating chocolate sets my symptoms off. Within fifteen minutes of eating anything chocolate, gas forms right under my sternum, and it feels like my ribs are going to break off from the pressure. Also, my esophagus starts making gurgling sounds. My newest symptom is pain radiating between my shoulder blades in my back. Once I feel like I am going to vomit, I know that is the turning point for feeling relief, even if I do not get sick. Finally, at the age of forty-two, I have found out that I have a Hiatal Hernia. Sure would have been nice to know this when I was younger. The doctor put me on a limited diet and told me to lose some weight. I am wondering if anyone else has that back pain--it is horrible!! Anyhow, that is it: no chocolate and lose weight.
I have a hiatal hernia. I'm not sure which kind, I think fixed, although I have a lot of constant pressure in the very center of my chest. It causes breathing difficulties. My deep breaths are very shallow, and I sometimes find it hard to breathe. The pressure causes pain, such pain that it sometimes makes me cry. It took them maybe six months to find my problem, they told me it was anxiety, but after an endoscopy they found it. It affects me constantly and I came online to find answers.
I know the feeling!  I have had a hiatal hernia for three years now; maybe longer but was just recently diagnosed.  I was in the military and used to left heavy objects above my head for 11 years and of course there was a lot of stress. I was advised that once you have this problem; you will always have it!?  Well, I was just tested by a VA doctor and he claims I no longer have it?  The doctor had me do a Barium swallow and did an upper GI x-ray series that was performed by a radiologist (you drink some contrast material, and x-rays are taken). But...just recently I was rushed to the hospital because of chest pains and shallow breathing!  It felt as if something was pressing down on my chest.  So I figure the hiatal hernia is back?  Or never left.  I sleep with my head propped and it helps and I have changed my way of eating and lost weight; however I find that when I left heavy items and am stressed or upset, this brings on the hard pain!  I have been in the ER six times in the three years that I found out I had this problem.  I am just adjusting to this and try not to bring it on. Sometimes it's difficult.  I hope this helps others.
I have been having with chest pain for the last several years. I have been to the ER about 4 times thinking I was having a heart attack. The doctors have ruled out my heart is fine I have had EKG, stress test and three weeks ago I had a cardio catheter in August I had surgery because I have GERD and they found out I also had hiatal hernia and also had my gallbladder removed.  The surgeon repaired the two hernias and told me that that might be why I am having chest pain. Well the last three months I had no chest pain now it is back. I have PH monitor test and every test you can name with my gastroenterologist, taken every pill: Nexium, Prevacid, Aciphex, Apidex, Pepcid, Rolaids Gas X you name it I am still having these chest pain in the middle of my chest and goes all the way to my back. I just wish some could help.
I have a hiatal hernia.  I don't do anything different, although when it flares I stay away from caffeine, grease and tomato sauce.  Omeprazole, (over the counter) takes care of it 95% of the time.  I just want the lump to go away.....
I was diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia after having an upper GI series done. I have constant discomfort in the upper abdomen and chest, and I get pain when I lift, bend or get upset or stressed. I also have back pain and should pain, especially at night.
My best friend Sarah has had a hiatal hernia for about 1 year or so now her GI Dr. Livingston won't take out her hernia and she is having all of the symptoms of the hiatal hernia since she was diagnosed. She can't hold anything down in her stomach. I feel so horrible for her since she is my best friend. She sees her doctor on Thursday hope everything goes well!!
I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia in the early 90s. In which I have experienced excruciating pain in between my breast that goes to my back.  I have been to the ER in the past many times to be sure it wasn't my heart. I was given a GI cocktail of Milk of magnesia and pain killer that stopped the pain. I take Prilosec daily but when I miss too many doses that old familiar pain comes back.  I have also been prescribed non narcotic pain killers that also helped. Certain foods with acid and medications will irritate as well.
I am sitting here reading all the reviews which are so familiar, and heplful! I thought I was imagining all these symptoms thank god I'm not alone.  I have been suffering from this hiatal hernia from my early teens, but since I reached my 20's I found it did get a lot worse, anytime I eat anything I constantly feel bloated, breathlessness, feeling of vomiting, reflux and pain in left side under my rib cage down my arm, this scared me as I thought it might be my heart. Thankfully it wasn't, my doctor recommended change of diet and exercise which I do but still I can get it very bad sometimes I just wish there was some other treatments that can be done rather than surgery.
I had a severe pain in my solar plexus that lasted for about 3 hours, then vomiting and shivering. These symptoms repeated a few days later and a Blood tests showed abnormal readings for the liver and my doctor and I suspected gall stones. After a third incident I went into hospital and was given a drip with antibiotics. After an ultrasound scan and then a CT scan there was nothing wrong with liver, gall bladder or bile duct although I did have a severe infection of biliary cholethiasis and sepsis with klebsiella pneumonia, cured by the antibiotics. A follow up gastroscopy showed that I have a sliding hiatal hernia. Fortunately, living in England where we have a National Health Service, none of this costs me anything. I am pain free but there is increased risk of esophagal cancer so biopsy results are awaited and I will need treatment to illiminate Helicobacter pylori. It's probably harmless but may increase risk of ulcers.
I have been diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia two weeks ago. I am waiting for the results of the biopsy taken of the various irritated foci found during gastroscopy. I am looking for how to live with this uncomfortable condition and how to prevent it from getting worse. It is agonizing. I was amazed when I found out that the cause of my dramatic chest pain the mimicked an angina and the hear burns, was actually the hiatus hernia. I have difficulty with swallowing. I always have a thick mucus plug in my throat. Even though I have been placed on 20 mg of omeprazole tablet daily, I am not very good at taking medication. I must say that I feel relieved to know that I am not alone and that there are people out there who can understand. I am 56 years old and my weight had been below 110 lb for the most part of my life until two years ago when I gained weight and now am at 124 lb.
I am so glad I read everyone's comments about their hiatal hernia. I have been lax lately about taking my pills as prescribed but I will definitely start doing as I was told. I too have been having the feeling in the middle of my chest and when I have lifted something heavy I have the same problems of breathing as others have mentioned. I was thinking it was my heart but everyone's comments are me to a T. Of course if I thought it was my heart I would go to the ER or see my doctor immediately. Sometimes my bra would feel so tight that I wanted to scream, and the middle of my back would ache. That's how I found out what my problem was, having an upper GI revealed a hiatal hernia. Thank you everyone for posting your own personal experiences. I don't feel so alone with this problem anymore.
I have had a hiatus hernia for a long time and endured years of pain, trips to the ER, heart tests that were all Ok. After all this I finally had an upper GI and learned it was a hernia.  Later, I read somewhere that drinking a big glass of water would cause the hernia to go back down.  This has worked like a charm for me when I have this pain.
I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 6 years ago. I had lost blood from erosions on my esophagus and had to have 4 blood transfusions. They put me on Prilosec and I took it for 6 years. Now I am having all kinds of side effects. Since then I have found out it hasn't been proven safe for that amount of time. I have come across several people who are having trouble with their joints and muscles hurting, especially in the legs. They have cramps, twitching, and  anxiety. I am trying to find a safe alternative to take. My Dr. failed to tell me not to take it that long and also when you try to stop your symptoms come back worse than ever.
I had most of the symptoms described on this site and more. Chest pain,  palpitations,  gas, horrible pain, anxiety. Finally I was diagnosed with GERD due to a hiatal hernia. Prilosec helped but shouldn't be taken for more than 2-4 weeks at a time. My doctor wanted to keep me on it permanently as symptoms came back soon after going off prilosec. I looked for safer, natural remedy and found that Mastic Gum capsules treat my problem, safely and permanently. I still have to be careful not to overdo certain foods but my diet generally is open to most foods.
I've had pain in the tummy area for years now I'm 61 years old.  until recently a doctor did a GI and it was found I have a small Hiatal Hernia  I am on 40mg of Nexium a day but still have severe pain rising from the stomach up in the chest then down my left arm, it can last for 10min or 3hrs. I have cut all caffeine and fats out of my diet. I pray that someone finds a cure for this terrible pain that myself and 100,000 of others suffer daily. I try to keep my bowel moving daily as well, just because its labeled small means nothing.  It's so painful and draining.
I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia.  I constantly get chest pain, and on two separate occasions I have had excruciating pain in my upper back between the shoulder blades that lasted about an hour.  Since I got rid of some of the stress in my life after my divorce, that back pain hasn't returned, but I still get the chest pain with belching, and I also get GERD if I eat the wrong kind of food.  It's difficult to pinpoint what foods bother my hernia because it seems that any food I eat brings on chest pain and/or GERD.  I was taking Protonix for the GERD but I need help in finding a way to eliminate the hiatal hernia.  I have read that the hiatal hernia is the reason for the GERD.  I would appreciate anyone writing back with any information on this topic.  Thank you.
My sister was diagnosed with Hiatal Hernia.  She was admitted to the hospital due to serious stomach pains. They tried to perform a Barium test which could not be completed because she swallowed the Barium but it did not go into the stomach (she later vomited it up). They later performed an endoscopy test (upper GI) and said they saw nothing.