Can I give myself HSV 2 from a adult toy?

Okay, I’m freaking out.
So last last Thursday, not this past Thursday, I noticed a bump on my lip. I figured it would go away and then come Friday it didn’t. I got worried and bought some OTC cold sore cream. I scheduled a appointment for Monday (this past Monday) and the DOC said it looked like a cold sore but they couldn’t tell forsure without a blood sample. I’m still waiting for my results.
Okay so literally an hour ago, I have a cam2cam sesh with someone. My ‘cold sore’ or so I think is gone now. No cuts/bumps/abrasions. I sucked on my dildo and then used it on myself. I’m worried that I might have gave myself HSV2. Is that possible?
Someone please tell me I’m over reacting. Thank you!
COMMUNITY LEADER
You are overreacting. :)

First, if this is herpes, you'd have hsv1 on your lips, and IF you gave yourself herpes via this toy, you'd give yourself hsv1 genitally. There are different strains of the virus - the number doesn't signify the location.

That said, if this is hsv1, you have antibodies (unless this is a new infection) which protect you from infecting yourself in another part of your body (and also protect you from someone else giving you hsv1 genitally - think receiving oral sex).

Your sore is gone, no lingering cuts/bumps/abrasions. This makes it less likely that you would transmit anything to yourself.

So chances are really, really good that you didn't infect yourself genitally (this is called autoinoculation, by the way). It's not something I'd worry about at all. :)

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.