Can you contract herpes if you use a vibrator that an infected person has used?

Some details: It was used on the clitoris. The vibrator has been sitting in a drawer for about 5 months so it’s been at least that long since the person infected with herpes has used it.. Can the virus live that long (5 months) on the vibrator? It was weird with a baby wipe before use, was wiping it with a baby wipe sufficient? I’ve learned it should be cleaned with soap and water for next time. Needless to say I’m just very concerned now and is it possible I’ve just given myself herpes?  
COMMUNITY LEADER
No, the herpes virus dies quickly once exposed to air - all STDs do - so if it had been sitting in a drawer for 5 months, you're fine.

When people talk about sharing toys and cleaning with soap and water, they mean if you are going to share it immediately with someone else, which is also a really ineffective way to transmit STDs anyway. It can happen, but isn't all likely.

Cleaning your own toys in between uses helps remove yeast, if you have it, and prevents bacteria from growing.

So you're fine. :)

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.