Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Cold sores and oral sex

Hello. I recently had a cold sore, and then it was scabbed over. It was  total of 11 days between the start of the sore, and when this event happened. I was using abreva and keeping my lips hydrated while I had it . . While it still had a scab(it wasn't cracked or anything) I was convinced to give oral sex to my partner. Is he at risk for breaking out with this on his genitals? I'm honestly worried that it will spread to his genitals. What's the risk and what should be done?
1 Responses
15249123 tn?1478652475
COMMUNITY LEADER
Tbe risk was very small. Most of the time when a cold sore has scabbed over the virus has already retreated. If your partner doesn't have hsv1 then he is at a small risk with every oral encounter. This is due to rhe virus shedding when no symptoms are present. This happens 10-15% of days on average. He obviously knows about your hsv1 so if he is ok with everything then please don't worry.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.