Folliculitis vs. Herpes: What kinda doc to see?

Judging by the appearance of my bumps and the symptoms, I'm pretty sure its folliculitis. In any case, I'm getting it checked out. Question is, which specialist should I visit? I don't have health insurance, and would like to avoid seeing an Ob/gyn, then have to go see a dermatologist, or vice versa, and have to pay twice (plus paying for whatever prescription I'll need.) Does it make a difference? Will any doctor be able to assess and prescribe?
You'd like to think most doctors would be at least prepared on your suggestion to swab the area and request a HSV PCR analysis be performed on them ideally; culture if they really must but it must be typed. If you insist on this I'd be confident most doctors would accede to the request. Invent a drunken encounter with an unknown guy if you need to!
hahaha. thanks Fleetwood. I've decided to go to the std clinic; they'll definitely do the HSV test no matter what. And if it IS folliculitis/boils then I'm sure they'll be able to prescribe the necessary antibiotics.

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
STDs aren't transmitted through clothing. Fabric is a germ barrier.