Genital hsv 1. What am I dealing with?

Hi All,

So my girlfriend just told me she has genital hsv 1. What am I dealing with here? Should I be concerned?

She referred me to this site if I had any questions and I have been reading up on some information and from the looks of it I shouldnt be concerned as it rarely sheds. How accurate it this?

I am a little concerned because the forums also state that there is a risk but its highly unlikely to spread from genital to genital but what about oral? Am I at risk for catching it orally?

I have been tested previously and am negative for both types of hsv. I always make sure I am tested for everything. I really love this girl and have know her since freshman year in college she is 23 and I am 26. I care about her so much but I'm not sure i want to contract this although she definitely defines and has everytihng I want in a woman. Can someone tell me what genital hsv 1 is and what it does to the body? Am I safe to have unprotected sex with her? We have always used condoms but after shes told me I've been a little less spontaneous in fear that I might contract her hsv 1.

I really dont want her to feel like Im pushing her away but its hard not to feel scared about this.

Is it really just a skin condition?
How come I have not acquired this yet? I have dated a handful of women and none have told me about any type of hsv 1. My gf said everyone has it in the form of cold sores on their mouths but to my knowledge I have not seen anyone with cold sores.

Can someone shed some light as I am very concerned and do not want to leave her without knowing the facts or what I will be dealing with.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Grace a couple more questions. Are we safe to have sex with condoms? I have read that condoms do not protect against hsv. I am confused, so i am at risk even with or without condoms? What if she doesnt get a recurrence is she still shedding or she wont shed?

If its so unlikely that it sheds then i wont catch it?
Helpful - 0
Also should she start taking suppressive Therapy? From what i know she doesnt take medication for this. Her last and first outbreak was in january.

Should she start for my protection? Does valtrex have any long term effect On her or our future child if we plan On having one?
Helpful - 0
Is she affecting herself by not taking the medication? If she doesnt take it will she most likely develop outbreaks. She doesnt like taking pills, as you can tell im very concerned both for myself and herself.

Since this lives in the nerve will it cause nerve damage or anything.
Helpful - 0
the majority of people who have herpes, regardless of type, don't take herpes antivirals. Treating herpes only helps to speed healing of recurrences and in the case of hsv2, helps to reduce transmission to a partner.

we don't have stats as to the risk of you contracting hsv1 from her. it happens but not enough for us to have stats on.  

no, it doesn't cause any nerve damage.

sounds like her anxiety about her herpes is affecting you too?
Helpful - 0
Yes because she fears she will pass this On to me and she criea sometimes with me and sometimes at home. I worry about her and her anxiety is rubbing off On me just because i want to be there for her but am concerned about my risk too.

She wanted to go to a therapist because she us real sensitive and she has days when she says its just a skin condition then she has other days when she cries and wants to kill herself.

I dont know what to do or tell her to make her feel better and not worry :(
Helpful - 0
Shes really worried about passing it to me and I tell her everything is going to be okay but then she cries and it gets me really upset and I sometimes want to find her ex and beat the **** out of him.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.