HSV 1 questions

I recently had a primary genital herpes outbreak. It was the worst experience ever. Approximately twenty oozing blisters, extreme pain while urinating, difficulty walking, swollen lymph nodes in my groin, and I couldn't get out of bed for days. I was seen in a clinic and a culture was performed. It came back positive for HSV-1.

I tested negative for HSV-1 nine months ago through a blood test.  I have been seeing someone for a year, and in the past he has told me he gets cold sores, but I've never seen him with one. We did have sex 5 days and also 12 days before my outbreak, but no oral was performed. He did spit on my genital area during sex.

Approximately 14 days before my outbreak, I was extremely intoxicated and sexually assaulted. There was no penetration, but I believe this man did try to perform oral on me. I am still traumatized from it and trying to deal with it.

After researching HSV-1, I feel like I still don't have a lot of definite answers. I'm hoping to clear them up here.  

My questions are as follows:

1. Which encounter was most likely to have given me HSV-1?  I have read that primary outbreaks generally occur within 2-10 days of exposure. Could saliva have been enough to cause a primary genital outbreak if the man I am seeing was shedding the virus orally?

2.  Does genital to genital transmission occur for HSV-1?  I read that it is theoretically possible, but not probable, but I can't find any data on it whatsoever.

3.  Can I give the man I'm seeing genital HSV-1 if he already has cold sores, and antibioties to HSV-1?  

4.  Why did I not get HSV-1 during the year I have been seeing him until now?  

5.  For future sexual partners, is disclosure an absolute must?  Over half the population carries the HSV-1 virus, and it is almost impossible to transmit genitally from what I understand. I also understand I may never have another outbreak. What do most of you with genital HSV-1 do?  Any doctors with thoughts on this?  

6.  Why do most people never have any symptoms after they are exposed to this virus, but some do?  Is there a problem with our immune systems?  

Thank you in advance for your help.  
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm so sorry to hear about the assault.

1. It's impossible to judge exactly which encounter was responsible. Hsv is not concentrated in fluids like saliva. Is it impossible? No. Just a little more unlikely. That being said you know your bf has had cold sores. This puts him at the top of the list.

2. Hsv1 is very rarely transfered through inercourse. This is due to the few outbreaks and low rates of shedding. There are no clear stats but i personally know a few top experts who have never had a case in their clinics and both have over 30 years experience.

4.because hsv is not a super contagious infection. Some couples go a lifetime without ever passing it on.

5.well that's a tough one. I for one would be honest as it really won't be much of a threat to anyone. Ultimately it's hard to build something that started with a lie.

6.this is the differance between hsv1 and 2. When someone gets hsv1 genitally they didn't have hsv1 before this. Like an oral infection. When this happens the vast majority have a harsh primary like you had. Most folks with genital hsv1 experience what you did. Hsv2 can be very mild or asymptomatic due to the fact of people having oral hsv1 and while hsv2 is a new infection the body has built defenses already.

Hope this helps

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.