IgG test came back positive

Hi guys,

Originally my doctor ordered a PCR test which came back negative so he assumed I didn't have herpes. The he ordered a IgG test which came back positive and the result is 8.0

So for you doctors reading this, it's obvious that the PCR test has false negatives to herpes.
I would also like to know what does the 8.0 value mean? Does it mean that my immune system is good, the virus is strong, whatever... Can we interpret this number in any way at all?

Thank you for your help.

COMMUNITY LEADER
The number just means the test was very confident it sae the antibodies. The lower the number the less confident. Thats why anything lower than a 3.5 needs confirmationtesting.
Here is my story. I was diagnosed recently with genital herpes with a score of 5.22. My second time around testing it was at 5.50. The lab however made notes that it could potentially be a false positive and to retest at a later date. IGG just means you were exposed to the virus at some point long ago and your body made antibodies.
COMMUNITY LEADER
If your body ia making antibodies you have the virus. The info you have been given is not correct. At 5.22 you have the virus.

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.