Need help understanding test results

Here are my results from 2011 Test Name
Result
Units
Normal Range
Status
HSV-1 IgG
> 5.00 (Abn: H)
EIA Units
<0.90
Final, Reviewed
HSV-2 IgG
4.98 (Abn: H)
EIA Units
<0.90
Final, Reviewed

Note:

EIA Value    Explanation of Test Results
---------     ---------------------------
1.10             Positive

I am trying to understand if I tested positive for HSV1 & 2 during this year. I know that I have tested positive in 2012 and 2014. I'm a 44yo female who never had signs of the virus. No outbreaks, cold sores and want to know is it possible to spread to a partner if I have never experienced symptoms?

I really didn't understand the virus when I was told 2 years ago that I tested positive. I have no clue how long I have been infected.

Thanks for your help.
The test results above (from 2011) are positive for HSV1 and HSV2. It shows you are infected with both viruses.

There is no test to tell how long you have been infected. Most people with HSV1 have oral herpes (usually without symptoms) and were infected in childhood. If you're not having outbreaks (cold sores on your lips, etc), you probably will not transmit the virus to anyone. Almost everyone with HSV2 has genital herpes. Even without symptoms, there is a risk of transmission to sex partners. However, if you were infected many years ago, you might be minimally infectious. But unfortunately, there is no way to be certain.

If you have a regular sex partner, that person should be tested to see if he or she has HSV2. If you're having sex from time to time with new partners, you should tell them you are infected and should use condoms. You can also speak with your doctor about taking anti-HSV treatment to reduce the chance of transmission to partners.

Good luck--
I appreciate the feedback. I won't be able to know when I contracted either as I don't remember being tested specifically for the HSV 1 or 2 prior. It just helps me go back in the timeline.

I have never had any of the symptoms.

if you haven't read the free herpes handbook by Terri Warren yet, google it and give it a read. It's really helpful for learning about your herpes infection and how to deal with it.

grace

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.