Herpes Community

Open wound on Clitoris, Conflicting doctor opinions/test results

Good Morning,

I am a 25 year old female experiencing one recurring cut/area of raw skin where my clitoris and left labia minora meet. Both my doctors and I thought it could be Herpes –but here is where the confusion begins. A brief history of my health:
Jan 2011 - diagnosed with high-risk HPV. Doctor runs full blood panel to check for anything else. Results:
Herpes IGM Positive for both 1 & 2, Herpes IGG Negative for both 1 & 2
As I’ve read here and other websites, the IGM test is mostly useless. Doctor told me to retest in 8 months to determine if it was a new infection or a false positive.

August 2011 – Retested for HSV – IGG test only. Negative for both 1 & 2.

March 2012 – Last sexual activity

December 2013 – I am continually bothered by an irritated area where my left labia minora meets my clitoris, under the clitoral hood. I go to an urgent care center where they immediately say “Herpes” – conduct swab testing and order HSV IGG blood test. Both tests return negative for both 1 & 2.

March 2014 – Normal Pap, HPV has cleared

Last week – I was experiencing this same feeling of an open wound on my clitoris. I took a look myself and it looked like a paper cut - there was a small area of open skin - so I scheduled an appointment with my gynecologist. Saw him on Tuesday, he took a look and said he'd do a culture for Herpes. I stopped him and asked that we not go through with the test, as I had already been tested so many times for HSV and have not been sexually active since 2012. I then showed him the blood test results from this past December. However, I am regretting stopping him from taking the culture. He would like to see me again in 3 weeks.

-Is it possible that I have a strain of Herpes that does not show on IGG testing? I have now had three IGG tests that have been negative. I’ve read that the IGG test looks for 2 proteins while the Western Blot looks for 14. Should I ask my doctor for that test?

-If you believe it isn’t herpes, what should my next step be? Should I get a biopsy taken?

Any insight that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. I really just want to figure this out. Thank you!
Is the opening at the same location every time?  Maybe you are doing something to open it by accident if it is at the same location.
Hi, youve tested negative so its not herpes. Maybe as Prizefighter suggests, something your doing. You can have a PCR swab which is very accurate for diagnosing issues like yours.
Honestly, it does seem to be most noticeable after masturbating/using a vibrator; as well as during my period. I did read that trauma can induce a herpes outbreak, so that's why I thought it still might be that. It does always occur in the same location - a tiny cut where my labia minora and clitoris meet. Even if it is just a "tear" or something from masturbating, it's happening every single time, and I'm not even being rough. So now I've been avoiding touching myself at all costs, which doesn't seem like a great way to live.

So you don't feel getting a Western Blot would provide any more info than the IGG tests did? also, if my doctor does proceed with the culture test when I do see him again in 2 weeks - is it possible to have negative IGG tests and a positive swab? (that is, 2 years after any sexual contact)

Thanks again. You don't know how much your knowledge and kindness helps people. :)
Your negative and no futher testing is needed.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.