Test reliability

Hi I recently had some hsv tests done and I was wondering if I could let my mind rest yet.

I had some weird bumps on my pubic area and got a swab and blood test done at the same time. Both came back negative. It's been 7 weeks since then and I just got another blood test because my doctor told me to wait at least 4-6 weeks. That test also came back negative. Do you think 7 weeks is a good indication of whether I have it or not?
Yes great indication, p to about 80% of infected people have turned positive at this point.

I know it will be a wait, but given it seemed the sores were of sufficient concern for a doctor to swab for herpes, then a 12 week test to confirm the negative is required (assuming you do not have HSV1).

You're well on your way with negative swabs and negative antibodies to this point.
Hey, I hate to hijack a post, but I am curious, why you state that a 12 week test for HSV2 might be impacted by a previous HSV1 infection? I assume that it would push the effectiveness date back? If so, why?
I do not believe it is proven, but by observation the bulk of the extremely small number of people who test positive from 12-16 weeks have HSV1. The theory is the effectiveness of the HSV1 antibodies slows the learning process for the development of a HSV2 response.

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.