confusing results

I'm wondering if i should get retested for herpes because of chance of the test for my IgM being positive for another viral infection and what test i should get if it seems likely? My situation is confusing due to different professional results.

This spring i was having severely chapped lips. My skin was peeling and it was painful. I usually get chapped lips during winter and spring but this was unusually bad. Because i just transferred from a community college and the place, riverside is 10 degrees hotter than what I'm used to, I did not go to my regular doctor but the school one and he told me I had herpes. I did not have cold sores though and i never had sex or kissed anyone before. Cause i was busy with finals i did not have enough time for a blood test so i just asked for some medicine to relieve the pain and let it pass.

After school ended, July, I went back home for summer and saw my doctor as soon as i could and described my symptoms to him and showed him my still afflicted upper lips that were chapped and still peeling. He said that they weren't herpes since i didn't get any cold sores nor sexual activity. Though he recommended to test for it along with my regular blood test check-up for the year.

I don't know which test he asked for but it tested IgM and tested positive for herpes 2. Is it possible that this is a false positive considering I'm a virgin and was never in an intimate sexual relationship? Not even kissing.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I got back my results from the lab. herpeselect was used and it also said positive at IgG 1.77. I read around the community and online and saw some cases where a low number such as mine has a chance of false positive. Since I'm still a virgin and did no engage in risky behavior, my results have a chance at being a false positive right?

How do I go about getting tested via western blot? My doctor is clueless and only knows how to request it from the lab. I don't think the lab would order one for me since my doctor's idea of ordering it is to ask the lab to order it on the lab request. Please help, god this is stressful.
Helpful - 0
IgM antibodies are only sporadically produced by the body. Hence a negative does not mean an absence of the virus. Further, the incidence of false positives is quite high, hence a positive is not reliable either.

IgG antibodies are produced from 1-3 months after infection and are there constantly for life for most everyone. This is hence the much better test.

You my have HSV1, most people do and most get it in their youth. HSV1 does not cause dry lips, but dry lips can cause an outbreak. Only direct contact with the infected area of a carrier poses a risk of transmission.
Helpful - 0
Only a IgM test was done. So i should a test done on my IgG? Why shouldn't the IgM be done on adults?

Another note, a bit off topic, would it be possible to be infected with HSV1 as a virgin since HSV2 is impossible? My doctor said that since i wasn't sexually active at all i could have got it from sharing drinks or utensils or towels. im very germophobic so i don' think its from utensils and for drinks my roomate and sometimes use the same dishes, after they are cleaned in a diswasher. Is it possible for someone to get HSV through such contact?
Helpful - 0
IgM is not a test that should be applied to adults, it is usually meaningless when either positive or negative.

As a virgin, you cannot be infected genitally with HSV2.

Did you have IgG testing as well, a doctor should never do IgM without IgG for HSV1 and HSV2?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.