High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
832 Members

Are there blood pressure medications that are easier on the kidneys?

I thought I submitted this, but not seeing that in my account?  Anyway, I'm 70 and have had declining kidney function (creatinine from 1.0 about 10 years ago to 1.4 average and BUN 25-35 last four or five). The nephrologist I had been seeing for a few years said I didn't have to see him any more unless the blood test levels changed, as they have been stable, as well as no issues in the urine.  

I've read calcium channel blockers, specifically, are contraindicated for those with chronic kidney disease. I am currently on that per another physician.  I am also on an angiotensen II drug, which I've been told is good for kidneys.

Question:  Should I be concerned about taking the calcium channel blocker with poor kidney function, but not diagnosed with CKD?