High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
849 Members

Does a long term tooth abscess cause high blood pressure?

I am getting high blood pressure for no reason. I'm in my mid 40's, normal weight, no diabetes, female.

I read that tooth abscesses can cause high blood pressure? I'm otherwise healthy but when I get it I can feel it, I feel like a weird feeling in my chest, and sometimes pain in the left side, sort of hard to breathe but not really. I went and checked it at one of those free blood pressure things at walmart when I was feeling bad and couldn't sleep, and it was like only 159/80, then later I felt better and it was about 150/88. Could it be due to a tooth abscess I've had for 7 years?
Hello and welcome to MedHelp.  Sorry this is happening.  I strongly urge you to go see your doctor.  They can use their BP monitor to confirm these high readings as they are usually quite dependable. The monitors in stores are sometimes not quite as accurate.  They may also set you up with a way to read your bp at home.  Usually it is first thing in the morning as you get up in order to get the most accurate reading.  But your diastolic number or top number is currently high based on what you've written here.  There has been a proven link between dental issues or chronic infections and the mouth and high blood pressure.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3403746/  It's also very important to tell your dentist about your high blood pressure because various things they use for pain control have ephedrine in it which can spike your blood pressure rapidly so they need to be aware.  

It would be best to see your doctor to understand how to deal with your blood pressure but in short, yes, your dental issue could be contributing.  

Here is a nice read on some ways you can control high blood pressure naturally through lifestyle changes.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974

We wish you the best of health.
I have read about this connection between dental health and blood pressure!  Which is ironic because anything to do with my teeth makes me highly nervous and when I'm highly nervous I think about my blood pressure!  Ugh.  
How are things going?  Any update?