Hypertension Community
879 Members

6 Year old with High Blood Pressure

My son started having "spells" Jan. 2012 where he would start throwing up, very pale and blotchy, dark circle under his eyes. We would take him to the doctor and they would tell us to take him home and in a full days he would get better. He would but then a few months later it would happen again, he would literally look like he was dying. Finally he was hospitalize at vanderbilt childrens hospital for it cause his BP was extremely to high(181/96). He was finally diagnosed with Hypertension but without a reason.His doctor told me that a reason for high blood pressure could be that he was in pain from something that we couldn't see. They did ever test on him and everything came back normal, he is currently take Amlodipine twice a day, and his bp runs around 120/75 everyday. So it got me thinking...I have the gene HLA-B27 which can be a sign of Ankylosing Spondylitis and was told that more then likely my son would suffer from this as well.

So my question is: Is there a link between Ankylosing Spondylitis and High Blood Pressure? Should I have my son tested for AS? Could AS be the "Pain" that my son is having that we can't see?
A 6 y/o can as far as I know never have high blood pressure without a reason. So-called essential hypertension or primary hypertension (which is adults is the most common, 95% of all cases of hypertension) often have a number of reasons, most of them have something to do with an unhealthy lifestyle.

For example, some of the following factors: Stress, smoking, alcohol, overweight, lack of exercise, heavy salt intake, high fat / unhealth carbs intake, lack of sleep, too much work, anxiety, in general all the things we shouldn't do. This rarely happens in a 6 y/o.

Even a blood pressure of 180/95 shouldn't cause severe symptoms, but one of the following two conditions can be likely:

1. He has got a (unknown) condition which is causing pain, discomfort and stress (as well as the other symptoms), also increasing blood pressure.

2. He has got a secondary reason for high blood pressure. Excess cortisol or stress hormones (can happen from a variety of reasons), narrowed kidney arteries or another reason.

I'm not a doctor. I would STRONGLY ADVICE you to see another doctor regarding his condition. A blood pressure of 180/95 is not normal in a 6 y/o (or any other person) and you should not accept the diagnosis of "hypertension without a reason". There must be a reason.