Conflicting reading or advice - is this ok, or too high?

I had a checkup today with a new doctor - I've not had a general checkup in about a decade.

I'm 37 male, 6'2, 74kg. Non-smoker, drink once or twice per week, eat an ok but definitely not perfect diet. I exercise regularly - running about 100km per month, cycling close to that, and do some weight training from time to time. I do stress myself out a bit too much about daily life lol.

I was surprised to learn from the nurse who did my BP reading that I was 135/60. She told me I was a bit high but right on the border of normal.

Later when seeing the doctor, he looked at it and told me not to worry - that it was fine and seemed normal to him (he's not inexperienced, he's been practicing for 30 years and has a good rep).
So the discrepancy was curious.

Frankly I was a bit surprised at the reading. I feel pretty healthy... and figured with the exercise, I was doing ok. I also didn't know anything about BP readings before this, and anything I know is what I've read since this afternoon.

I've gone online tonight and have ordered a home BP monitor so I can check it regularly to see if this was a one-off or if there's something actually concerning here.

I'm curious about your opinions... is the doc right? Or should I be more concerned...

thanks, I very much appreciate any insight!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

You are reading content posted in the Hypertension Community