Why does my 28-year-old son have high blood pressure

As I said he’s 28 years old and never smoked, drinks  socially. Works out religiously and very careful about what he eats he finally established with a primary care physician because he didn’t have one and he was experiencing a lot of facial neck and hand flashing. He would just all of a sudden be sitting there working on his computer and turn red. He’s always had very sweaty palms but nothing like this is blood pressure proved to be somewhat high 148 to 156/87-95. He is on Amolidine? Now he is losing hair. Is there any correlation between that and the blood pressure medication. I know there have been issues with that particular bp meds. I am urging him to see a cardiologist and I also feel he needs to see an endocrinologist and have his a thorough thyroid work up done. his primary care only checked his TSH & F4. I have hypothyroidism and I do understand it is a very genetically passed on often. Given his age I would not suggest that route but some of his symptoms remind me to much of what I am going through. I think the thing I don’t understand is his blood pressure his cholesterol and lipid labs were fine
Really appreciate some suggestions or knowledge
If the medication you mentioned is Amlodopine, can cause flushing.  Possible side effects named are    swelling, excess fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema), headache, fatigue, palpitations, dizziness, nausea and flushing.

Some possible causes of high blood pressure include kidney disease, hormonal imbalance, and drugs including cocaine or alcohol. Contributors could be sedentary lifestyle or excessive salt intake.

Your son's doctor needs to do some more analysis of his symptoms and come to a clearer conclusion, and At the least, the doc should adjust his medications.
TY. I am insisting that he sees a cardiologist. So I hope he will.
In the meantime it would be a good idea for him to call the doctor who prescribed the Amlodopine and explain he's having side effects, in hopes of getting the medication amount adjusted right away rather than waiting to see a specialist.
I'm concerned that a young guy would be put on a drug because of one test.  Often people have high blood pressure when they go to the doc.  It's a weird anxiety reaction people have, so a lot of people get this.  That's why it's useful to get more than one test of BP rather than prescribe meds that can have serious side effects in an otherwise very healthy person, at least as you describe him.  I'd want to see him get tested over a period of time.  It's even possible these days to get tested at home with your phone, I believe, and while it's not as accurate, if it repeatedly shows he's perfectly normal then it would give reason to suspect that one test.  You also said he was tested for F4, do you mean T4?  If he was, he had a pretty thorough thyroid test, especially since he has no symptoms of thyroid problems other than this one test.  I get that he is having flushing, and I do agree with you that a specialist is probably a good idea, as general docs are, you know, general.  But again, if it were me, I'd ask for a few more tests to see if this was a thing.  If it were a thing, than you'd be on good ground to try to find out why before just being put on medication unless your doc thinks he's about to have a major event.  Which is possible, I wasn't there, but if he does think that, he should have referred your son to a specialist.  I agree about calling the doc about the side effects in the meantime.  To me, you've got good reason to have concerns, but I don't think a doc has nailed the reason for it yet.  Peace.
If your son was prescribed a blood-pressure lowering medication on the evidence of only one doctor visit, I would second the suggestion that this seems kind of hasty. Does your son have a blood-pressure cuff? (They're not expensive.) He could take his own blood pressure several times a day at different moments, and track whether the baseline always seems high. A doctor shouldn't be puzzled about someone having high blood pressure but not having elevated levels of cholesterol or lipids, he should re-check the blood pressure to be sure the reading was accurate and consistent.
Familial hypertension is real.  I found out that I'm prone to it during my first pregnancy when I had pregnancy hypertension. Normally though, they track BP over a period of time. They tell you to get a reliable blood pressure cuff (I got one on Amazon) and you take your BP two to three times a day at different times and record it.  Three months is a good period of time to collect this data for the doctor to them see what is going on.  At THAT point is when medication comes into play usually if it it looks like the readings remain consistently high.  I also think that diet, losing weight if needed and exercise are essential at controlling hypertension regardless of the age of someone.
I do not think Amlodipine would cause loss of hair but high BP can but most of all stress causes loss of hair and indeed high BP

You are reading content posted in the Hypertension Community